Horses!!!!!!!!

Hi everybody! I am in some desperate need of help with my pony! I recently came into some very unexpected health issues and had to leave my animals in the care of a neighbor. I just got back from being in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks and have found my pony in a heartwrenching state! The poor boy is all skin and bones and has big nasty sores on his whithers and either side of his face. I think that the sores are from excessive rubbing, but am not sure because I have never seen it on the whithers like that. Has anyone ever had a horse do something like this before? And how do I stop/ treat it? This pony was a rescue and is very skittish, doesnt like to be touched or even approached really. I was going to work with him this summer but ended up really sick most of the summer and then in the er and hospital and now here we are and he is no better:( I wanted to give my Blaze a second chance at life when I got him but now, coming home and finding him like this, I just feel like I have failed him

Last edited:
Was he
Hi everybody! I am in some desperate need of help with my pony! I recently came into some very unexpected health issues and had to leave my animals in the care of a neighbor. I just got back from being in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks and have found my pony in a heartwrenching state! The poor boy is all skin and bones and has big nasty sores on his whithers and either side of his face. I think that the sores are from excessive rubbing, but am not sure because I have never seen it on the whithers like that. Has anyone ever had a horse do something like this before? And how do I stop/ treat it? This pony was a rescue and is very skittish, doesnt like to be touched or even approached really. I was going to work with him this summer but ended up really sick most of the summer and then in the er and hospital and now here we are and he is no better:( I wanted to give my Blaze a second chance at life when I got him but now, coming home and finding him like this, I just feel like I have failed him
was he with a big horse? Could they be bites? My minis been itchy lately coat coming in but never seen them rub there withers... Maybe getting pushed out of food?

3b blu...

Join the forum on a website called lilbeginnings.

Its a awesome mini horse website and you can get a ton of info there by mini horse experts and owners and breeders with yrs of knowledge.

You can have every question you ever have answered there about your girls.

He's in with my alpacas, but the 3 of them are the only other animals he's been in with. I did notice last night/this morning that he has been kinda submissive to them and standing back from the hay a bit, but I thought it might be because I was standing there trying to get a look at him in the dark. I'm not sure if the alpacas could do this kind of damage on him though, I'll try and get some pictures up today of the spots and look for any more. Thanks 3b blu!

He's in with my alpacas, but the 3 of them are the only other animals he's been in with. I did notice last night/this morning that he has been kinda submissive to them and standing back from the hay a bit, but I thought it might be because I was standing there trying to get a look at him in the dark. I'm not sure if the alpacas could do this kind of damage on him though, I'll try and get some pictures up today of the spots and look for any more. Thanks 3b blu!
Ya I don't know anything about alpaca behavior but I would assume it possible if he's acting submissive? Can u separate?

Alpacas and llamas can and will become very aggressive to other animals even with being used to living with them. I almost bet they ganged up on him and let him know who's boss while you was gone.

I think thats what I'm going to have to do. The alpacas have their own pen separate from the goats because they aren't fans of free roaming dogs lol and the pony started breaking out of the goat pasture when I got stuck in the hospital. That's how he ended up with the alpacas, but he might do better now that people he was somewhat used to seeing before are back:) he's not a talkative boy, but he sure has given me some big whinys both times i've seen him since being back! And this morning he was staying back, but following me all around the pen snorting and shaking his head almost like he was telling me what I missed over the summer. It made me feel quite a bit better to see he still had some spunk in him and maybe even missed me a bit

Last edited:
I think thats what I'm going to have to do. The alpacas have their own pen separate from the goats because they aren't fans of free roaming dogs lol and the pony started breaking out of the goat pasture when I got stuck in the hospital. That's how he ended up with the alpacas, but he might do better now that people he was somewhat used to seeing before are back:) he's not a talkative boy, but he sure has given me some big whinys both times i've seen him since being back! And this morning he was staying back, but following me all around the pen snorting and shaking his head almost like he was telling me what I missed over the summer. It made me feel quite a bit better to see he still had some spunk in him and maybe even missed me a bit
Aww he missed ya :)

Does anybody still use this thread? It seems like a really good one but nobody has used it in months. I've got 2 horses, Sammy, a quarter horse gelding, and Luna, a sorrel Paint.

Here is Sammy:

Luna:

this is me playing polocrosse for the UK on music box, an exracer

This me playing polocrosse on my Argentine thouroughbred , colossal.

This is Gilly, my first pony who we still have.

Back
Top Bottom