Hortense the Hen- Floppy comb, a lil unsteady/lethargic

Crop feels empty or nearly empty. She did eat scrambled egg this morning, and some blueberries. Picked at some watermelon. Mostly spilled her water. She has not eaten for a while now. Her breath does not smell. The Wazine water was finished yesterday afternoon, since then she had plain clean water available.
I would check the crop in the morning before she eats/drinks to see if it's emptied.
I'm not sure what's going on with her.

I would check the crop in the morning before she eats/drinks to see if it's emptied.
I'm not sure what's going on with her.
thanks Wyorp. I'm not sure either. I might be grasping at straws but wonder if it's her heart. She was FINE on Tuesday, Wednesday it was odd that she seemed to be so affected by the heat, so I thought it was combination of heat and worming. Thursday morning I thought I was just being cautious and Thursday night I'm not sure she's going to make it. I've bathed her, she's isolated in the air conditioned house, and has food/water. Tried to give her nutridrench to perk her up, but she was not having it and my efforts stressed her. So I guess we see in the morning.

I had little hope she'd be alive in the morning and figured if she somehow was lingering maybe I should have the vet out to end things humanely. But she's alive. She was very puffy, but when I turned lights on she stood up, feathers laid down. She seems a little weak, but she is upright and walking (slowly). She fussed when I picked her up to examine her. Her crop is absolutely empty. Her tummy is a bit soft/squishy. She had pooped a tiny bit during the night- it was mostly dark green, very little white visible but a (clear) wet spot larger than the poop spot. Shortly after she got up, there was a second tiny poop smear. I gave her a clean towel, so I can monitor accurately.

An hour later I checked again and she had walked over to her water. Did not see her drink but I have the water inside a shallow pan so she can't keep spilling it. She had also eaten a couple blueberries and pecked at her watermelon. (she has pellets, meal worms, scrambled egg and blueberries to choose from in the dish, plus some watermelon and her clean water).

This morning she looks like a hen that might make it with supportive care. I considered putting her with the flock, but it's July in Texas and I think she has a better chance in the AC than in 90+ degrees.

Last edited:
She was very puffy, but when I turned lights on she stood up, feathers laid down. She seems a little weak, but she is upright and walking (slowly).

She had pooped a tiny bit during the night- it was mostly dark green, very little white visible but a (clear) wet spot larger than the poop spot. Shortly after she got up, there was a second tiny poop smear.
What do you mean she was very puffy?
You wormed her right? Any way you can collect a poop sample and have your vet perform a fecal float to see if she still has worms?

What do you mean she was very puffy?
You wormed her right? Any way you can collect a poop sample and have your vet perform a fecal float to see if she still has worms?
She was puffy like they fluff up when the weather is cool and they are roosting. I did worm her- actually the whole flock with wazine in drinking water. If she eats enough to make a decent fecal sample I can certainly have it analyzed. She has been standing up for most of today and seems more bright and alert, but her comb is more floppy than before.

She has been standing up most of the day so far, and it appears she's been more interested in her water/watermelon than food. But I just checked and she had eaten her blueberries. On instinct, I decided to offer her the favorite treat, even though it's junk food. I have her 6 small bits of Hawaiian sweet bread, and she was very interested, gobbled it all. Then I gave her a green grape, and she ate it too. If I can keep her hydrated and nourished, there's hope.

I've noted that when she's standing, her breathing is not a problem. Still seems to be breathing deeply considering she's just standing there, but 90% more normal than when she was sitting. Overall she looks brighter this afternoon than yesterday afternoon, with the exception of the comb flopping worse. I think next I may offer a couple more bites of sweet bread that has some NutriDrench on it for a boost. Really curious as to why either her bath or trying to give her NutriDrench on her beak last night would have caused her to spaz out/have a seizure, then "try to die" but at least for now, she seems to be "trying to live".

Attachments

• EF378EB2-7784-4E8E-AF15-62AC782A758E.jpeg
    EF378EB2-7784-4E8E-AF15-62AC782A758E.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 3F541BF6-CB39-4E64-8C2A-2A27B4A8DDE3.jpeg
    3F541BF6-CB39-4E64-8C2A-2A27B4A8DDE3.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Interesting that she breaths better standing up. I would still be inclined to think she might have fluid in the abdomen. It could also be something to do with her heart. With chickens it's so hard to know.

Interesting that she breaths better standing up. I would still be inclined to think she might have fluid in the abdomen. It could also be something to do with her heart. With chickens it's so hard to know.
She just laid down for the evening, and yes, again her breathing is more labored down than when she's standing. But, it's not nearly as labored as it was last night or first thing this morning. This morning she actually sounded a little raspy. I've been doing a stupid amount of research. She has some signs of water belly, but it's not nearly that much fluid. Her tummy is a little squishy, but it's not extreme. She seems like she's expelling more fluid than she's ingesting, so that may support that there is extra fluid in her. I also checked vent gleet, and once I bathed her I found a pretty good bald spot around her vent. But she's not straining to poop, it's a normal looking effort, there's just not much poop since she's not eating much. Without ANY veterinary training, I'm almost thinking that she ate a poison spider, or she has heart trouble. The good news is that she's better today than yesterday. She did eat "some", and she stayed upright and really looked bright except for that comb all flopped over. The little poops she passed look more normal. I almost let her back out with the flock at dusk--but I'll keep her in til she's eating better/pooping more. I'd feel better if that comb stood back up too. But I don't think she has anything contagious so figure as soon as she's eating/drinking/pooping good she'll be just as well with the group as in the guest bathroom. Feeling better that she's going to be alive in the morning than I did last night! And if not, I'm going to suspect heart-- which I know is something I can't treat/control.

Back
Top Bottom