Hospitalize or cull? (Graphic)

avidity

Songster
Dec 30, 2020
Western WA
I stepped outside this afternoon to find my CX chicks huddled together and spattered with blood. Courtesy of a hawk, I think. This chick is the hardest hit.

I've never seen an injury this deep. The chick was talkative and alert when I picked it up; it's trying to sleep standing up right now. Is this a mercy cull situation, or would it be worth it to hospitalized the little guy?

20210731_162916.jpg
20210731_162932.jpg

Attachments

• 20210731_162918.jpg
    20210731_162918.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210731_162909.jpg
    20210731_162909.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm going to give a quick update for posterity anyone searching for info on a similar situation (stomach sliced open, what looks like fat showing through, back of head pierced, etc).

I disinfected the wounds and kept the chick separate overnight. Next day, she was alert, eating, drinking, and energetic, and her injuries didn't look any worse, so I put her back in with the others. The next day she was lethargic and quiet, sleeping, wouldn't eat/drink or get up for anything. Really thought she was a goner. She was more comfortable with her buddies, and I didn't want her to die alone, so she stayed with the rest that night.

Day after that, she was back to being energetic and running around with the rest. Like flipping a switch. Just the one bad day, and she's been fine ever since. I can't even tell which one she is now that everybody's feathers have finished coming in.

So there you have it. A three-and-a-half week old meat chick absolutely determined to make it to freezer camp, and bless her, I really think she will. To be very clear, I did only the bare minimum in supportive care here. If a bird you love has similar injuries, there's hope!

I'm going to give a quick update for posterity anyone searching for info on a similar situation (stomach sliced open, what looks like fat showing through, back of head pierced, etc).

I disinfected the wounds and kept the chick separate overnight. Next day, she was alert, eating, drinking, and energetic, and her injuries didn't look any worse, so I put her back in with the others. The next day she was lethargic and quiet, sleeping, wouldn't eat/drink or get up for anything. Really thought she was a goner. She was more comfortable with her buddies, and I didn't want her to die alone, so she stayed with the rest that night.

Day after that, she was back to being energetic and running around with the rest. Like flipping a switch. Just the one bad day, and she's been fine ever since. I can't even tell which one she is now that everybody's feathers have finished coming in.

So there you have it. A three-and-a-half week old meat chick absolutely determined to make it to freezer camp, and bless her, I really think she will. To be very clear, I did only the bare minimum in supportive care here. If a bird you love has similar injuries, there's hope!
Aww I’m glad she made it! 🙃☺️

Back
Top Bottom