Hostas?

Well, let me share this with you.....I have hostas in the front yard...in a flower bed near the house, and this year, my hens discovered the hostas.....I heard a funny noise, looked outside and there they were, hens all lined up like my hostas were a salad bar or something. Unfortunately, my hostas looked like crap all year long. Chickens LOVE hostas. And they're fine......apparently hostas are NOT poisonous.
tongue.png

Quote:
My chickens eat hostas, but not all varieties. It's strange. Some they chew to the ground and others they're not the least bit tempted to nibble on. Strange little buggers. I guess they're safe to eat b/c they're all still alive these many months later.

I did peas which grew up a little trellis inside and then grew across the top to provide some shade. By the time they died back, my neighbor's pumpkin vine had covered the pen, again, providing nice shade! My gals love tomatoes, raspberries. Sunflowers are a cute idea, and then feed the flower heads to the gals once they dry.

Hostas are totally edible even by us! I also recommend purslane. Also edible by us (yummy). It is considered an invasive weed so bear that in mind before you plant it! :)

Sounds like what my girls did to my sweet potatoes. Grrrr. Hubby was supposed to be watching them. I don't know how people have gardens and chickens. Mine eat EVERYTHING except the mint and the chives, but they dig up the roots looking for other treats

I'm thinking about planting some hostas and other perennials around the outside of my chicken run. Are hostas okay for chickens to eat? The plants will be on the outside of the fence, but they still might be able to reach some leaves, so I don't want to plant something unsafe for them.

Any suggestions for other chicken-safe plants would be great!

Thanks!
I sure hope so because my chickens started clearing out my Hostas yesterday afternoon. At first when I noticed it, I thought it might have been rabbits. But then I remember the girls being all gathered up in my Hosta bed yesterday, right before dark. And after finding where they had chewed off the Hostas is what brought me here to find out if they are safe for them

Back
Top Bottom