Hot chickens

Peterpam

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2015
Wittmann, AZ
Sadly, I lost a hen today. I believe it to be because of the heat here in AZ. She was only 1 1/12 years old maybe. They have plenty of fresh water. I even put ice in when its real hot. I installed a misting system. And I put a little kids pool in their outdoor pen with play sand in it. Then I water it down and they love sitting in the cool sand. I don't know what else I can do to protect them.

Their play yard is between the coop and a large storage shed. There is a 10x10 canopy over them so they don't get direct sunlight for a long period of time.

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

Our hens are healthy and when its super hot out when they are not in shaded yard scratching, they get under their raised nesting area which is supported by cement block.Like a dog under a porch on a hot southern day.They dig out a bit and sit in these cool "holes" in the dirt.Not sure if this is typical but seems to be working in hot hot central fla.Sorry for your loss
1f622.png
peterpam

Last edited:
Can you put a fan in the coop where birds can't reach it (maybe up at ceiling level) moving air feels cooler. Also put out shallow pans of water, they like to stand in the . Cool feet = cooler bird.

I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I can share some information here for other people expieriencing a similiar problem, and of course for future reference.

It is likely that the hen died of heat stress if she didn't have access to shade or if there was a heatwave. I've been through four heatwavess (40 - 50 degrees celcius) and lost 3 birds in the first one. One hen was found dead in the egg box while laying, another under a shady tree and the third in the pen. Chooks always need natural shade (from trees and shrubs is better than a metal or wood shelter), clean water and a good dust bathing pit (dirt or sand is best). During heat waves you can put ice in the water, prepare ice packs and lay them in the pen (you will find they lean against bottles of frozen water). If you have a good supply of water you can run a sprinkler every few hours and the hens will sit under the water. Some of these things can be hard if you aren't home all day.

If you do come across a heat stressed bird (they will be dehydrated, panting excessively, unable to walk and very warm) sit them in a bucket of cool water under supervision and let them drink electrolytes. I have even heard of people putting heat stressed pullets in the fridge for little while. I've had 13 heat stressed hens and they all recovered.

Good luck with the rest of your flock.

What gives you the idea she died because of the heat? You sound like you got the heat covered. Hens die all the time for no apparent reason. Mortality in a flock is supposed to be around 10%/year. Just keep am eye on the rest, but there isn't much else that you can do.

What gives you the idea she died because of the heat? You sound like you got the heat covered. Hens die all the time for no apparent reason. Mortality in a flock is supposed to be around 10%/year. Just keep am eye on the rest, but there isn't much else that you can do.

The person who started the thread (Peterpam) lives in Arizona. It is in the desert, and the desert is very hot this time of the year. Many here have been losing chickens to the heat over here.

Back
Top Bottom