Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

Miracle grow covers a multitude of soil deficiencies.  I'm not too proud to give those plants a dose of the green stuff when warranted.  The bottom line is, anything that you grow in your own yard, using your own soil, water and sunshine, has got to be better than anything that you drive to the store and purchase with your hard earned money.  You can also give your tomatoes each a tablespoon of epsom salts as a foliar feed, or sprinkled at the base of the plants and watered in.  You won't believe how fast they green up for you.

Took your advice and added Epsom salts. Also have a bucket of weeds started brewing, I hid it behind the composter so DH doesn't think I've gone completely off the deep end. I figure I'm doing pretty well having two tubs on the counter labeled 'chickens' and 'compost'.

Double the drama! The neighbors borrowed some hemp bedding for their guinea pigs last week, and returned it today, together with some poop and hay and whatever else you might find in an rodent cage (great present idea). Dumped it in the compost and did the nitrogenous moisture adding procedure. Should start cooking tomorrow.

Soon I can start reporting the other side too.

Last edited:
Double the drama! The neighbors borrowed some hemp bedding for their guinea pigs last week, and returned it today, together with some poop and hay and whatever else you might find in an rodent cage (great present idea). Dumped it i the compost and did the nitrogenous moisture adding procedure. Should start cooking tomorrow.

Soon I can start reporting thecother side too.

Haha, funny gift, great to add to your pile though!

Only a fellow gardener would understand. The neighbor down the road had a rabbit. I asked her to please dump the used litter in my yard instead of driving past my yard to haul it to the dump. She said, "I mix it in with the rest of my garbage!" so very sad for me.
sad.png

However, I went to the dump today, and saw some very nice piles of poo and mulch sitting on the tar at the composting site. Unfortunately, I have no where to put a load of stuff right now. But, I did come back with 4 thermopane windows, and a steel door with full sized thermopane glass. Will look very nice in my coop to be.

Only a fellow gardener would understand.  The neighbor down the road had a rabbit.  I asked her to please dump the used litter in my yard instead of driving past my yard to haul it to the dump.  She said, "I mix it in with the rest of my garbage!"  so very sad for me.  :(

However, I went to the dump today, and saw some very nice piles of poo and mulch sitting on the tar at the composting site.   Unfortunately, I have no where to put a load of stuff right now.  But, I did come back with 4 thermopane windows, and a steel door with full sized thermopane glass.  Will look very nice in my coop to be.

Fantastic. It's nice to share our uniqueness with others :D

One man's trash is another man's treasure. They usually use pine shavings though, and they are a bit too slow composting for my tastes. I can report that this morning we had 16deg C outside, and 36 in the bin. The guinea pig bedding is building up heat.

I snapped a comparison picture of both sides again, since the right side now looks about the same as the left side did two weeks ago. Quite a difference.

Temperature was 38 deg C now (100 deg F).

It was 35 deg C in the evening when I turned it. The smell has changed from a tolerable composty smell to a nice organic mulchy smell, so the time to put it to cool is closing in. The right side has started heating up now, so don't worry, I will still have something to report and keep all of you entertained.

It was 35 deg C in the evening when I turned it. The smell has changed from a tolerable composty smell to a nice organic mulchy smell, so the time to put it to cool is closing in. The right side has started heating up now, so don't worry, I will still have something to report and keep all of you entertained.

I'm not a real chatty person, but do follow along. I was thinking about this thread when I was working on my own compost pile today :D I still need more green, even the pile that's made the most progress still looked like aged sawdust. I COULD pull a million weeds and add them, but will most likely just wait until fall and add all the spent garden plants. I did throw a bucket into the chicken run for them to scratch through and have seen them attacking that pile all day.

I'm not a real chatty person, but do follow along. I was thinking about this thread when I was working on my own compost pile today :D I still need more green, even the pile that's made the most progress still looked like aged sawdust. I COULD pull a million weeds and add them, but will most likely just wait until fall and add all the spent garden plants. I did throw a bucket into the chicken run for them to scratch through and have seen them attacking that pile all day.

Pee+sawdust=magic

Back
Top Bottom