Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

Mine is growing daily but still on the small side probably 3 ft across and maybe 2 ft high... I bought a pitchfork today and am ssoooo excited to use it in the morning lol.. such a geek

Mine is growing daily but still on the small side probably 3 ft across and maybe 2 ft high... I bought a pitchfork today and am ssoooo excited to use it in the morning lol.. such a geek
Do you need some horse poo to add to your pile? I know where you can get it by the truck load!
frow.gif

Scott

Batch 2 is building up some lovely heat. I measured at several spots, it seems to be pretty uniformly at 60 deg C (140F). The pile has gone down about 15 cm already (6"). I have a feeling this will be a quick batch.

There was a excavator working on the neighboring property, and after it was done we wen't over to look at what had been done and the neighbor's kid found some worms. So now I got her to collect some more of them, and added 6 worms to batch 1. She later cam over with 2 more, and now I'm hoping this will be enough to get them to start reproducing in there. We're finally getting some much needed rain too, so if it washes up some more worms, I'm going to go hunt them in the driveway. Hopefully the pile is a beneficial environment for them to live in. If they start to flourish, I won't need to get the compost worms I was planning on getting.

They won't stay in a hot pile! If you want to get those worms without working for them, try placing a few layers of cardboard in a shady spot. After a week or two, there should be an abundance of dark worms: red or purple colored that you can pick up off the ground. You might even want to hasten the process by putting some potato, or carrot peels under that cardboard. Those worms seem to be more attracted to compost situations than the lighter colored earth worm.

They won't stay in a hot pile! If you want to get those worms without working for them, try placing a few layers of cardboard in a shady spot. After a week or two, there should be an abundance of dark worms: red or purple colored that you can pick up off the ground. You might even want to hasten the process by putting some potato, or carrot peels under that cardboard. Those worms seem to be more attracted to compost situations than the lighter colored earth worm.
Yeah, they're in the cooling pile. Even if they're "just worms" I think throwing them in a hot pile would be a bit cruel. I might try the cardboard at some point, but right now I don't have any good spots to do that, all the places with soil that could possibly harbor worms is in plain view, and I'm working hard on keeping the lawn alive in those spots. I have one raised bed that isn't in use at the moment, but I've done too good groundwork in that to expect worms to come through, at least in any larger numbers. I don't think they go through a layer of landscape fabric and leca gravel.

Back
Top Bottom