Hot days?

Walpysteve

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Does a sprinkler on a regular timer in the coop help with stinking hot weather? I read elsewhere damp soil led to other problems in the chicken yard. Thanks

I wouldn't put that in the coop but rather outside of it. Most don't care for the water too much but the resulting damp soil is a great way for them to cool off, provided that it's in the shade. Another good way to cool them off is a big shallow water container. Some use a kiddie pool with only about 3 inches of water in it. They wade in there and it cools them off. Naturally such a thing needs to be in the shade also.

I did these things for my big fluffy Orps this summer during 110 degree heat and they all made it fine. Others with flocks of "heat hardy" layers lost lots of birds during our unusually hot weather.

When it's super hot, in the summer, I will take a hose and spray their favorite area (they free range) under the trees. I also spray the leaves of the trees and the side of the barn that is next to the trees. I do this several times during the day but I think a sprinkler, turned down low would work to wet their area also in case someone works away from home during the day.

Mine were only 12 week pullets when the heat hit big time here in Texas. I misted them & the ground 4 times a day. As Galanie said, get s shallow plastic kiddie pool or I got a heavy plastic oil changing pan from Walmart, filled it with water & put frozen water bottles in it. This way they can have cool water to drink & the water in the container is cold enough, that they chickens will lay up next to the container to keep cool. Make sure their run is in the shade or there is a shade tree near the water. I also put up a tarp on the side of the run, that was getting more direct sun, it helped block the sun & also gave them a little more shade.
My hens did not like getting misted during the summer, but they will walk around in the rain now with no problem.

Mine were only 12 week pullets when the heat hit big time here in Texas. I misted them & the ground 4 times a day. As Galanie said, get s shallow plastic kiddie pool or I got a heavy plastic oil changing pan from Walmart, filled it with water & put frozen water bottles in it. This way they can have cool water to drink & the water in the container is cold enough, that they chickens will lay up next to the container to keep cool. Make sure their run is in the shade or there is a shade tree near the water. I also put up a tarp on the side of the run, that was getting more direct sun, it helped block the sun & also gave them a little more shade.
My hens did not like getting misted during the summer, but they will walk around in the rain now with no problem.

It just slays me how they do that. Hate getting misted or sprinkled, yet walk around in the rain just fine! I didn't mention it but the tarp idea is something I did as well during that drought. And I'm lucky enough to have a 3x5 foot metal pan that is 4 inches deep that I used for their "kiddie pool" which I put under said tarp. It had the delightful benefit as being a great place to dump it out and refill with clean water every day, thus giving them another mud wallow as well.

Back
Top Bottom