hot dogs and chickens

turnleftdad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
Today when I was giving my dogs some hotdogs [ I cut them into small pieces and toss them] my little buff orps who are alowed to free range in the backyard cause they are not mean to the dogs were lucky enough to grab a few. They really liked them so I threw some to my ri reds in the pen and they went crazy. They love tomatoes and cucumbers and other veggies, they really love meal worms is it ok to give them hot dogs or are they bad for them. They are a lot cheaper than meal worms.

A little bit like today is prob. ok, but they're not good for them--way too high in sodium.

ETA: Tuna is a good treat too and they go wild for it.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't give them any but it won't harm them in small quantities. For not having a good sense of taste, chickens sure know it when they get something yummy.

Try getting mealworms in bulk. I got tired of buying them in packaged amounts at the store and find it somewhat cheaper that way. I've bought them in 1000's a couple times and found I went through them too fast so I bought 5000 and decided to try to breed them. They are supposed to be fairly easy to breed, and I already have a bunch of beetles so it shouldn't be long before I see babies.

While that's going, I'll be setting up wheatgrass trays this week to add fresh greens to the spoiled chickens diet.

every once in a while I will cook hot dogs for my hubby and son, them and I don't get along[hot dogs that is] they are all natural no nitrates I'll have 1 left over share with dogs and chickens they love them. But like was said in moderation.

wouldnt give hotdogs to my kid, hubby, dog or chicks unless they were nitrate free...dont want that stuff in my eggs..even though eggs are a long way off for me
smile.png

Thanks all. One more silly question Im in New Mexico albuq we eat a lot of chile here red and green can they eat leftovers.

An occasional left over hot dog is fine to give to the chickens. Since I don't assume you're planning to feed hot dogs daily as the bulk of their diet I think you can ignore the concerns posted here.

An occasional left over hot dog is fine to give to the chickens. Since I don't assume you're planning to feed hot dogs daily as the bulk of their diet I think you can ignore the concerns posted here.

I agree. How can food be OK to feed your family, but not good enough for your chickens? Really?​

Back
Top Bottom