Hot Flashes ! Help !

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by enola, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I'm going in and out of menopause and have for a year now. I have hot flashes, bad at the moment, but even worse is I feel like I am losing my mind. I forget stuff waaay too much or can see a word but can't say it, kind of thing.

2. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:I had surgically-induced menopause at age 34 and, due to a family history of breast cancer (my mother had it), was afraid to use hormones. Well, I watched Oprah earlier this year (her "Best Life Series") and couldn't believe I'd let myself go so long without the hormones (you can probably still find the series on her website). Not only does the lack of hormones cause hot flashes; it also causes insomnia, mood swings, depression, weight gain, fatigue, and the list goes on and on. After watching the series, I immediately scheduled an appointment with my GYN. She did a complete blood workup and determined that I was, indeed, in menopause. She and I talked about it at a followup appt, and she then prescribed Femring (a vaginal ring that stays in place for 3 months and delivers the correct amount of the hormone, estradiol). If you haven't already done it, schedule an appointment with your GYN or primary doctor NOW; you won't be sorry you did! [​IMG]

ETA: I saw an IMMEDIATE improvement with the Femring. In fact, the first day of usage I actually got COLD! My DH and kids told me I was "human" again! :lol

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Songster

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    I had a hysteretomy when I was 45 and my doctor gave me hormones at the time and I was fine. Then moved and changed drs - new doctor did not want me taking hormones due to side effects and took me off. Well after a year of going nuts and having all the hot flashes night sweats I begged my doctor to do something. She had changed her opinion on the side effects risks based on my overall health and give me 1/2 gram replacement hormone and it worked wonders - talk to your dr about it. The lack of sleep from sweats does not get any better for a while so worth the conversation. Also, ever wonder why you see ladies in the grocery stores sticking their head in the freezer box - well, she probably having a hot flash [​IMG] Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  4. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    ever wonder why you see ladies in the grocery stores sticking their head in the freezer box - well, she probably having a hot flash

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    As one who had completely finished the menopause at 46....I am 56 in a few weeks time, but am still plagued with night sweats, due to the precribed meds I cannot take oil of evening primrose (a lifesaver! or Starflower oil), so the only thing that works for me is an floorstanding electric fan directed at my face on low speed.... try it you will sleep without it I cannot and i have tried everything else. The fan takes the sting out of the flush by keeping your face cool, the rest just follows and I can sleep....(bliss), one other vital thing reduce ALL alcohol levels....if you must have a glass of wine, have one/two maximum any more and your flushes take on an ever nastier heat. been there done that..........good luck menopause fanclub...........

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I haven't hit menopause yet. I can't wait. I'll finally be warm. It seems I'm always cold.

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Cutting out sugar in all forms -including artificial- worked for me.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'd say that in this department, females got a really bad deal.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Take borage oil... it works for me. You may need to take it for a couple of weeks before you notice a difference, but it will help... [​IMG]

10. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    The hot flashes, night sweats, and brain fog will pass, I promise you ladies that. Contrary to what pill-pushers want us to think, it's a natural event in a woman's life, not a disease or illness. Cultivating a sense of humor about the process helps too.

I had a hysterectomy at 33 (kept ovaries) and I'm fortunate that I didn't get my first hot flash until I was 49. I'm 52 now and my hot flashes diminished in intensity & frequency last year. I've never taken any HRT, nor have I ever been on the pill--I don't like the thought of tampering with hormones.

Progesterone oil does help, but cutting out caffeine & cokes helped most of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: