Hot glued eggs, what day should I peel it off?

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
Probably not the best thing to use but it was what I had on hand. I have a broody hatching them, and I glued them on day 13 I was fumbling trying to get them back in the nest and they fell out of my hands. Just hairline cracks not dented in or anything, they are not bad at all and the eggs are still structurally sound, only one has a spider web look, that the hen cracked somehow. When should I peel the glue off though its day 18, the cracks are over the air cell on 2 of them. This is my first hatch so I dont know very much, I'm mostly just letting the hen do her thing, but probably worrying about her taking care of them more than I should.

Were all of the eggs cracked? Did you candle them to see if they contain live chicks?

I would not pull the glue off unless it could prevent a live chick from pipping to get oxygen but if all were cracked they may all be dead. If that is the case you need to come up with a plan so she doesn't sit on dead eggs for weeks (a plan such as buying her newly hatched chicks to raise).

Were all of the eggs cracked? Did you candle them to see if they contain live chicks?

I would not pull the glue off unless it could prevent a live chick from pipping to get oxygen but if all were cracked they may all be dead. If that is the case you need to come up with a plan so she doesn't sit on dead eggs for weeks (a plan such as buying her newly hatched chicks to raise).
3 of the 9 were cracked and they are all still alive as of the day after they cracked, I'm trying to restrain from disturbing her nest so it doesn't happen again. I took all the unfertilized eggs out on day 10 and recandled on day 13. I'm going to let her hatch all the eggs on her own so I dont screw anything up during the hatch, so I dident know If I should peel the glue off on day 20 incase they pip were the glue is, the glue is rubbery so It would be hard to break through it would just stretch.

3 of the 9 were cracked and they are all still alive as of the day after they cracked, I'm trying to restrain from disturbing her nest so it doesn't happen again. I took all the unfertilized eggs out on day 10 and recandled on day 13. I'm going to let her hatch all the eggs on her own so I dont screw anything up during the hatch, so I dident know If I should peel the glue off on day 20 incase they pip were the glue is, the glue is rubbery so It would be hard to break through it would just stretch.
Most likely they will not all hatch which means on day 22 the question of "is this egg alive and should I help" comes up. Plus many hens will stay on the nest trying to hatch duds when she should be caring or the chicks so a couple of days after hatch folks often need to intervene either way to remove the eggs.

If you do decide to recandle them just wait until she goes on her break. You can also make a tiny "x" on the top of the egg before picking it up so you put it back in the same position. Short of dropping them I think eggs are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. A live hen moves them around a little right up until the hatch.

Couple of months ago a hen here incubated 5 eggs in the hen house and on day 19 I water candled all of them (when she went on break) so I would know what to expect, 4 were alive and 1 appeared to be dead, the eggs were marked with the status. Next day four hatched and dud did not, after briefly candling it again just to be sure I removed it. It took all the guess work out of it.

(Though obviously you cannot water candle eggs with a cracked or pipped shell)

Last edited:
Most likely they will not all hatch which means on day 22 the question of "is this egg alive and should I help" comes up. Plus many hens will stay on the nest trying to hatch duds when she should be caring or the chicks so a couple of days after hatch folks often need to intervene either way to remove the eggs.

If you do decide to recandle them just wait until she goes on her break. You can also make a tiny "x" on the top of the egg before picking it up so you put it back in the same position. Short of dropping them I think eggs are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. A live hen moves them around a little right up until the hatch.

Couple of months ago a hen here incubated 5 eggs in the hen house and on day 19 I water candled all of them (when she went on break) so I would know what to expect, 4 were alive and 1 appeared to be dead, the eggs were marked with the status. Next day four hatched and dud did not, after briefly candling it again just to be sure I removed it. It took all the guess work out of it.

(Though obviously you cannot water candle eggs with a cracked or pipped shell)
Ok after the hatch I was going to move her an old hot tub with the chicks. Right now I have her in cinder block nest(as in used them as the back and sides) in a corner of the barn with a chicken wire divider. I can just take the duds out when I move them.

Ok after the hatch I was going to move her an old hot tub with the chicks. Right now I have her in cinder block nest(as in used them as the back and sides) in a corner of the barn with a chicken wire divider. I can just take the duds out when I move them.

Keep them with the flock!!! Pen off a small area inside the coop so the other birds can see them. The best part of using a broody hen is that the chicks are automatic flock members and can run with the flock at a very young age. If they are separated and the other birds can't see them everyday the chicks will become "strangers" and be picked on when you try to integrate them later.

Most folks keep them in a separate pen within the hen house for a week or so, then when the flock free ranges they open up the chick pen so the mama can start taking the chicks out to mingle with the flock.

You can feed everybody all flock feed or game bird feed, just don't let the babies eat a bunch of layer feed. My broody hens/chicks sleep in a cat carrier for the first few weeks until they start to roost (the carrier sits inside a pen). The hens love it and will take all the chicks right back to the carrier at dusk, because there are a lot of snakes around here the carrier is shut up tight at night as extra protection. It has hardware cloth on the vents to prevent a snake from getting inside.

Last edited:
Keep them with the flock!!! Pen off a small area inside the coop so the other birds can see them. The best part of using a broody hen is that the chicks are automatic flock members and can run with the flock at a very young age. If they are separated and the other birds can't see them everyday the chicks will become "strangers" and be picked on when you try to integrate them later.

Most folks keep them in a separate pen within the hen house for a week or so, then when the flock free ranges they open up the chick pen so the mama can start taking the chicks out to mingle with the flock.

You can feed everybody all flock feed or game bird feed, just don't let the babies eat a bunch of layer feed. My broody hens/chicks sleep in a cat carrier for the first few weeks until they start to roost (the carrier sits inside a pen). The hens love it and will take all the chicks right back to the carrier at dusk, because there are a lot of snakes around here the carrier is shut up tight at night as extra protection. It has hardware cloth on the vents to prevent a snake from getting inside.
I'm only going to have them in the tub for a week or so then I will make them a pen within the flock pen with them going into a sectioned off place in the barn at night. On the bag for all flock it says it's only for chicks 6 weeks or up, is it ok to give it earlyer is that because of the ingredients or because its pellet feed? I could grind it up into crumbles if I needed to. Thanks for all the advice I'm new to this and it really helps.

Edit: Should I just go strait to the pen inside a pen or is it fine to have them in the tub for the first week?

All flock is perfect for chicks. If not already in crumbles you will need to break it up.

My broodies and chicks are within a fence inside the run and usually are out and about mingling with the flock before a week old. The sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom