HOT in Memphis over 100 temp. How do I cool my chickens?

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi all , we have had a heat wave for about 2 weeks with temps all the way up to 106 degrees. It's awful. My chicken coop and yard is completely shaded for them and there is a breeze today but I was wondering besides ice water is there anything yall recommend for them? Should I bring a bowl of water and dip their feet in it for a minute? Maybe that would feel nice on their tummies. I don't know. My chickens are all about 5 months old now. I LOVE them dearly and hold them daily. I have about 23 of them in different breeds. They like to burrow down into dirt holes they make and dust themselves of course. None of them look unhealthy or struggling in any way. I just feel sorry for them in this heat. I give them fruit cocktail daily along with their starter feed still. None of them are laying yet but probably should start soon. Let me know if yall have any good methods to cool off my birds. I had thought of a baby plastic pool with a couple inches of water but don't know if they'd get in it or hate it. Julie

Hey, I live a little south of you in Tupelo and I am having the same issues as you. My chickens have a LOT of shade but even with the breeze blowing it is still hot. I mean a hot breeze isn't very cooling. We were up there the other day on Elvis' 30th death anniversary and I like to have died. We had to take our baby to Le Bonheur, we didn't go for the Elvis thing. ANyway, I wet the chickens dirt everyday where they take their dust baths and they really love it. I am scared to put a kiddie pool out there because chickens are stupid and will drown. Wetting the dirt a couple times a day really seems to help them. I also mix them up some jello and put ice cubes in it. It doesn't last long enough for the ice cubes to even melt.

We just went through the same thing here in Indiana,it was HORRIBLE!! I mixed electrolytes for them, in the water..and changed it twice a day. Fans blowing everywhere! I did read in a magazine, you can give them each a "bath" to help cool them down. However, I have over 60 chickens so that wouldnt work for me! Cool treats, fresh water with electrolytes, fans, and a prayer! Oh, and absolutely, NO CORN.

I use empty 2 liter soda bottles to make ice blocks and they absolutely love them. Several of them like to sit directly on them, the rest of the gang just likes to snuggle up to them.

I also set up a Hillbilly Swamp Cooler for them to help cool the air, they love it!!!

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I make giant ice cubes from bowls of water. I find the regular ice cubes melt within minutes. These huge ice cubes last 2-3 hours even in the 100 degree temps. I also make plain ones to put in the buckets of water to keep the water cool for hours.

In the picture below I put some watermelon in it for extra treats.

farm197.jpg

farm198.jpg

We also put a fan in the barn:

farm199.jpg

We have 100+ degree days here very often and I've never had a problem with my chickens. You don't need all that foo foo stuff. Just plenty of water and an open shady spot where the breeze can blow. The birds will be less active in the heat of the day just like most wild animals are. They'll make themselves more comfortable than you could make them with wading pools and misters and the like.

Quote:
It's been in the 100+'s for going on 3 weeks here in TN...not normal for us at all and there had been no breezes until yesterday. I'll give 'em the foo foo just because I feel better.
wink.png

Dawn

WOWWWWWW FABULOUS ideas!!!!!! I'm so glad I asked! Blondie, oh my gosh, your chickens are gorgeous! Such awsome idea with the big ice cubes mixed with fruit too. I had never thought of any of that,,,now I can't wait to try!!! Thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas! I'm going to freeze a bowl of ice right now! Thank you all again!!! Julie
smile.png

broncbuster,

Your signature reads "Why take my kids to the zoo? I've got a zoo right here!"

Maybe so...but the heat & lack of rain has been so bad here that the heatwave in TN has caused the zoos in the state to do foo foo too, too!

Which includes ice and frozen treats.

Local farmers are taking big cattle to the sales barn and keeping the calves, because a calf eats less than a full grown cow/bull..whichever livestock you refer to.

Not trying to be a problem poster, just letting you know how rough it is in TN right now. DH hasn't had to mow our 2 acres (that we rent) because it's all dried up and the red clay we are blessed with is deep with dry-out/drought fractures. I wouldn't wish these conditions on anyone!

DH and I are trying to finish up our main chicken yard & coop right now and it's not a pleasant situation. He works 56-60 hours a week at a cabinet sweat shop and I work at home attaching all of the wire (chicken & hardware) to the cattle panels that we are erecting for the flocks' main run. Wanna come on out & help???
gig.gif

Dawn

P.S. Glad we could be of help, Julieschickens! Memphis has suffered worse than here in Quebeck...but it isn't looking pretty here, either!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom