Hot... panting

artsvarc

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Eastern Iowa, USA
In Iowa, it went from pleasant to hot and humid. Right now feels like 91° and 61% humidity in the sun. The 6 week old chicks have been in the coop/run now for about 1 week. Inside the coop temp is 89°.... the chicks insist on laying in there. They bury themselves down in the shaving but are panting. I have given them a dish with water to put their feet/beak in but they don't. It's cooler in the run with the shade and breeze. Should I lock them out of the coop and make them stay in the run. I just gave them frozen corn, hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• 20200525_134456.jpg
    20200525_134456.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
It gets up to 110 here. I only worry about my big, super feathery breeds. But they manage.

FWIW, I am moving to somewhere cooler in about a month, in large part because of the chickens.

It may take them a while to figure out the most comfortable spot to avoid the heat, but they well. As long as they have plenty of cool water and access to shade, you've done your part.

Are they drinking water?

Yes. They have 3 water sources., the regular old waterer, a new horizontal nipple bucket and a big pan to splash in. They are better now that it cooled down. I ended up closing the pop door and made them stay out in the breeze.
It may take them a while to figure out the most comfortable spot to avoid the heat, but they well. As long as they have plenty of cool water and access to shade, you've done your part.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom