Hot Water Themostat Dead!!!?

jktrahan

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Sweet Lake
Has anyone every had a hot water themorstat die on them? I've never even heard of one going dead, but I woke up this morning and temp was 77 degrees in the bator and the heat lamps would not come on. Tested a few things and found the water heater themostat was not working.... I grabbed a little ceramic heater from our bathroom and adjusted the thermostat know until the temp stayed around 100.

Know I am wondering if I should replace the old water heater thermostat with a new one or switch to something else entirely? Has anyone else had issues with their hot water thermostat going out? I thought it would be rock solid and last for decades, i just bought it earlier this year and ran through about 6 different hatches without issues.

Is there something better I should be using?
Thanks,

20111118-1835211.jpg

i tried the hwt and i didnt like the temp swing. it would vary up to 3 degrees .. im kinda picky about stuff like this. i drilled extra holes in it like i saw on here and still didnt work like i thought it should so i put in a wafer thermo. yes it does cost a little bit more but its worth it at least to me to not have to worry.. the hwt was around 10 bucks and the wafer was 20 but it works perfect . the temp only varies 2/10s of a degree.. i built a hatcher with mine and it works great.. hope you still get a hatch from yours..

Quote:
Is the wafer the kind that is in the styrofoam incubators? if i could find anyone around me that sold them I would probably give them a try, but i've tried all the feed stores and no one has any in stock

Quote:
i've had the heating element go out, but never heard of the thermostat itself dying. I guess they do go out, otherwise they would not sell replacements, lol

Guess i was wondering if anyone tried gutting some of those small heaters and using the parts. they have a heating element, fan and thermostat....

Back
Top Bottom