Hot Weather and "Bloody" Poop- with photos

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi all,

Need some help/advice here. It has been super hot and humid in the north east 90+ several days for several weeks now. Is this normal? I read about intestinal shedding? Anything I can do? This is a flock of nine hens and just effecting the three.

Please let me know your thoughts

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Barred rock I year hen, lavender orpington 1 year hen and speckled sussex 1 year old hen

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Loss of appetite, lack of movement and "bloody poop" in overnight

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
24 hours

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Three birds have similar symptoms- but I think only one hen has "bloody poops"

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Heat wave

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinking, eating a little

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Bloody? And diarrhea

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Lots of water, fan in coop, electrolytes in one of four waterers and some cooling baths

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
20230712_061402.jpg
sand

Hard to tell if that's bloody or just slimy cecal poop. If you find more like that, can you put it on a white paper towel?

In hot weather they drink more so their poop is looser/more watery. Often they don't eat as much either.
Chickens will lounge quite a bit in the shade and not move about when it's really hot either.

Things are a little better, everyone is drinking a lot and eating a little. It's gonna be in the 90's again today and tomorrow. So I tried to smear what I found under the roost on a paper towel this morning. I can't quite make it out but it is stringy and gooey. Mucus consistency- thoughts??

20230713_053901.jpg

20230713_053914.jpg

Looks like Cecal poop.
Color can vary depending on diet, what they eat/drink, etc.

I'd just keep watch on them, see that they are staying cool.
Thank you so much for your response- I am definitely keeping an eye out for sure.. everyone is keeping a low profile but drinking and alert. Sitting low in the dirt in the shade and conserving energy. No panting or wings lifted so I guess they are just being smart!

Back
Top Bottom