Hot Weather and Water

kymomma75

Hatching
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Western Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
Since it seems that Kentucky is headed for a drought and a very hot summer, I've been wondering if there would be anything wrong with buying a small, hard plastic, baby pool for my chickens? For the purpose of the drinking when they are outdoors free ranging, and for preening their feathers as well. The reason I ask, is last week we had a nice rain storm to come through, which flooded the corner of their pen. When I went outside after the storm, all of the chickens had gathered at the water hole, walking through it, drinking it, and I noticed a few of them apparently felt that it was bath time. Not that I ever knew that chickens needed a bath,
lau.gif

I've had a blue plastic baby pool in my backyard for my dog and flock. I've not seen the flock drink from it much, but the dog sure likes it. I've never EVER seen the chickens play in it either. But I guess if they are thirsty and that's the only water source, they'll drink from it.

I've had some dry spells here and I've seen them drinking mud water from the neighbors sprinkler system that leaks under our fence. As long as it's liquid, I guess.

Indiana here across the Ohio from lousiville, and it's hot hot hot. I have 8 chicks and have been freezing water in glad tupperware and putting in the coop/ run for the chicks. They walk on top of it and drink the cool water as it melts. I also about 1:00 put some frozen homemade apple sauce in a old pie pan and let them peck at it to keep them cool.
Oh I put the tupperware of ice in a old broiler pan and pour just a bit of water in the bottom and place it so one cornor has water in it and the girls seem to like to walk through it.

If you decide to try the kiddie pool would you post if they like it thanks.

I have a Hog Pan in the backyard for the ducks. The chcickens use it as well, they will wade around in it after the ducks have splashed and played and lowered the water lelevl to about 3 to 4 inches.

On very hot days I've added block ice to the waters, the chickens need to remain hydrated on hot days. They will drink more if the water is nice and cool.

Well I had forgotten about an old heavy plastic sandbox/pool that used to be my kids, that we stored away outside. So we got it out, cleaned it up, and filled it up with water. They have all had to check it out. Some just like to sit around the edge and look around, where the other's figured out it's a huge place to take a drink.
Now if only we could just keep the hawk away!

Back
Top Bottom