Hot weather help!

Mdand23

Hatching
Mar 12, 2018
Hello. I live in Northern California and we are in the midst of a hot summer. I have read that hosing down the ground of my chickens run area will help cool them down. They seem to like it, but is this semi muddy area of for them to be stepping in often? They do have dry areas to move to so they aren’t in the wet area all day. I just want to be sure Im not hurting their feet.

Thank you,
Melissa

I live in Phoenix, AZ, this is what I do: wet down part of the run so they can choose to be muddy or dry, my girls seem to rotate in and out of mud puddles and wading pools then to dry areas. Freeze some milk jugs full of water and set out in the shade, they'll lay next to them to cool off. Lots of deep shade is important. Fresh water every day. Save a chick in one waterer every other day. Add ice to wading pools and waterers in the later afternoon. Not a lot, just to cool the water. Repeat this as necessary.
Cool treats like melon and cucumbers. Freeze berries and greens in just enough water to cover and give as snacks.
When feeding fermented feed they don't go through as much water.

Good luck, I hope everyone does great!

I live in south east Texas. So we get the hot gulf weather. What I do for my chicks is about three things. One I put ice in the water.
9EEE160B-B1C0-4AB7-B2BC-E1FD613CB6E0.jpeg

I also have a tub of water that I put a rock in there and I filled the tub up until about half an inch to the top of the rock. Doing this causes the rock to absorb the water and is the air flows over the rock it evaporator and caused a cooling action on top of it
BCB7A1B9-98C3-4208-892B-C8806559E040.jpeg

I’ve also put sunflower seeds inside ice water to encourage drinking.
FA4CDD62-C4FD-435C-9C34-306A3D458D3B.jpeg

A mud puddle is great for them, it won't hurt them as long as they have dry areas too so your hens feet shouldn't be affected by this;)

I make giant ice cubes in plastic containers. Something with a lid is nice but even a 2lt bottle with the top cut off works. When I refill their water I put the ice in. The contain we stays clean (relatively) so I can refill it and put it back in my freezer for the next day.

I use ice if it gets over 100. I freeze plastic water bottles, though, and put those in water instead of using ice cubes. The water tub is really popular with my girls, and also pureed cucumbers from the fridge. My girls like to dig deep holes in the dirt to sit in, and sometimes all you see is a comb poking out the top.

Back
Top Bottom