1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Houdan? Not a polish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melmeier01, Jul 21, 2016.

1. melmeier01

melmeier01 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    This pullet was from a batch of eBay eggs, but she has 5 toes and a more narrow head and crest, and bearded. Slate legs. Is she a polish mix or houdan?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. melmeier01

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    I meant to say it was a batch of polish eggs

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say its a polish/houdan cross.

4. melmeier01

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    Thanks!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Grays farm

6. melmeier01

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    Yeah, I thought the coloring was off for a houdan. At first I was disappointed, but she's turned out to be a very nicely tempered pullet. Looks like a pullet, right?

My very sweet cuckoo bantman polish pullet suddenly developed a faint v-comb and became very aggressive towards the younger chicks. Do the Roos become aggressive when they hit puberty or does it just vary with each chick?

I keep finding myself taking it personally when my nurtured chicks with girly names turn into Roos, it's not rational, but it feels like they did it on purpose to spite me! Obviously I have some emotional maturing and growing up to do if I'm going to continue hatching eggs! This site has helped me so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by