Houdans

I've seen those, yes.

I guess to answer you in a nutshell, if you're looking for local Houdans good luck, however there's always Craigslist, not sure about hatcheries in CA though. Either way, if you want nice Houdans you're asking for the lottery. If you'll settle for any Houdan, Craigslist is a great first choice. California has quite a lot of poultry owners and sellers.

Edited to add - The Where are You? Where am I? section of this forum has a thread for your area, you could as there too if you just want any Houdan.
smile.png

Thanks. I am active on the Northern California thread but no one has them that I have found. I think for now I will roll the dice. Show quality is not a big concern. Buying from hatcheries is a bigger sticking point for me. Sounds like a total crap shoot either way. I do appreciate your input.
big_smile.png

Tommysgirl,

I haven't had a chance to look at the link but I live in arkansas . I got my eggs from Dr. Bramwell withe the U. Of Arkansas Poultry Sciences. He has a number of heratige breeds that he is working to improve. The down side is you must pick up eggs. He does not ship. I believe P. Allen Smith also is working with Houdans. I do not know if he sells/ships at all. There is a Heratige Breeds organization that he works with I believe. Sorry I don't have their website handy. Maybe this will help. I would love to breed but just don't have the time or family support for that. Good luck.

Tommysgirl,

I haven't had a chance to look at the link but I live in arkansas . I got my eggs from Dr. Bramwell withe the U. Of Arkansas Poultry Sciences. He has a number of heratige breeds that he is working to improve. The down side is you must pick up eggs. He does not ship. I believe P. Allen Smith also is working with Houdans. I do not know if he sells/ships at all. There is a Heratige Breeds organization that he works with I believe. Sorry I don't have their website handy. Maybe this will help. I would love to breed but just don't have the time or family support for that. Good luck.

Thank you! I do hope someone is working with them it hopefully means that nice ones will be available in the future. I will check out P. Allen Smith.
smile.png
He has lovely birds.

Hello Houdan Lovers!

Due to a busy hatching season this year I have had no time to post on this thread! But I guess good things come to those who wait. My partner and I have been working hard for 5+ years now to improve this breed. Last week was the APA National up here in Canada and we both entered the fruits of our labor. I am proud to present some pictures of how far we have gone in a few short years!

This is a Houdan from four years ago...

And this is the pullet who won reserve at the show!

Nice! The color especially but also the fuller body. What is the weight difference?

Also what are the rules for shipping eggs to the US?

Hello Houdan Lovers!

Due to a busy hatching season this year I have had no time to post on this thread! But I guess good things come to those who wait. My partner and I have been working hard for 5+ years now to improve this breed. Last week was the APA National up here in Canada and we both entered the fruits of our labor. I am proud to present some pictures of how far we have gone in a few short years!

Hello Houdan Lovers!

Wow! Great work. She's beautiful! Congrats and keep up the work.
clap.gif

Thanks for your comments! My partner and I are still in the middle of this project and hatching all the eggs we can. We hope to have some pairs available to serious breeders and exhibitors in a couple years. Right now our stock is not consistent enough to sell hatching eggs or even chicks. We are only keeping about 10% or less of our young pullets and cockerels at this point. Lesser quality birds are strictly culled.

It was raining recently and these two think I'm either letting them in, or they want me to come out and play. They love the water...rain, sprinklers, whatever. Such crazy gals, but they are still laying!

Back
Top Bottom