Houdans

86313_hondon.jpg

Quote:
I agree..to really work with and try to improve a breed takes a lot of time, energy, and maybe money. It seems like many of the preservation breeders try to work with too many, become overwhelmed, and the quality of their birds go down or improve very little? This year will give me a lot of info on this particular pair and their offspring. Next year will be even more telling when I begin rolling breeding back to the parents. Hopefully I'll have a few more hens to add some new genes by then also.

Corn pecked...how cute they are! Be sure to keep us updated on them so we know how McMurray's strain do.
smile.png

This is my one breed to really work with. We have other breeds, but this is the only one I want to actually make the effort to better. Am growing these Ideal Poultry little ones out, keep the best, add the best I can find elsewhere, and go forward with that.

The more research I do into this, the more I think throwing Dorking blood [back] into the mix will help get the legs down, posture leveled, and size back up. Not sure what's needed to get that crest back out of the eyes - can't wait to see how these mature!

As Mofarmgirl mentioned earlier, getting the physical traits back to where they were originally may be more important than color. The French have 4 colors in that they recognize blue and black as well. This may be one of the reasons we've lost some important pieces as the Mottled gene is recessive - both parents have to have it.

LOVING the photos - please keep posting! I started my photo development project as I found NOTHING else out there to compare to. :-(

Also, I've read that the leaf comb (french) is a natural result of crossing singles and v's… Anyone find this to be true/untrue?

Thanks!!

Quote:
hey you dont live to far from me,im in if helping this bread is your goal with my one roo lol

Looking forward to seeing lots more pics.
smile.png
I don't know if crossing straight comb and v comb will produce that comb type but its interesting. I also thought about mixing in some Dorking blood but it would take several generations to get them to breed true again I'd think. Here's the standard for Mottled bantams. I would suppose its the same for standard except weight of course. http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/houdan.htm

Well looks like mad max (my roos name) isnt up to par his comb is to big but his wattles are right. he is also a little beat up in that pick, he gets him self so worked up attacking people he then goes after the king rooster and always loses, poor guy cant wait till his first molt though im hopeing he will get more black on him. hes 6 1/2lbs as of today but hes a little lighter then befor i put him in chicken jail with my 2 outher roos. my girls r molteing. by the way they dont fight in there jail inless he works him self up so dont worry lol

My Project Houdan Roo
He Made it to champion row in the Fancy Feathers show in NB TX.
12005_p9202035_crop.jpg

Wattles are on the large side but hoping to breed it out in 1 generation
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom