hound dog with foot issues- help!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by coonhoundmama87, Jan 3, 2012.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    We have a 2 year old Plott/Blue Tick hound cross who lives outside. He has really big feet. They are so sensitive. If it's really wet outside or cold (like it is now) they get sore and irritated. They bleed if it's bad enough. I don't know what to do for the poor boy [​IMG] We've tried a product called Pad Heal but it didn't really seem to make a difference. His feet never get a good tough layer on them like the rest of our dogs. They always stay soft. What can I do to help his feet get tougher or is he going to have this problem for life?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    How about these for a while.

[​IMG]

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Try coppertox

4. rockerchik

rockerchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    There is this stuff called "Tough Pad" that might work. I think you can get it at Ranch and Home.

5. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Try the Tough Pad it works great. I would use it on my working K-9 and SAR dogs. It is used a lot on sled dogs to protect the pads on the ice.

Maye

6. The tough pad does help, but your probably going to need to bring him inside for a couple weeks to get a jump on the healing process. It sounds like he is already bad enough that no product out there is going to overcome the daily irritation and heal the damage already there.

7. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Ill have to look around for that product, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by