House and feral cats trying to snatch my chickens (pleaaassse help)

My cats don't bother my chickens, they hang together all the time, when the chickens are out. Most of my roosters don't mind the cats, but my silkie roo doesn't particularly like the cats, he pecks at them. My black sex-link rooster hates cats, he goes out of his way to chase and peck the cats in the ears and face. The cats aren't used to chicken aggression so they don't see it comming.

Get some fire crackers and .22 bird shot. If the fascist pigs do show up, show them the fire crackers and tell them you have the right to defend yourself. And if they give you any trouble sew them like everyone else.

Get some fire crackers and .22 bird shot. If the fascist pigs do show up, show them the fire crackers and tell them you have the right to defend yourself. And if they give you any trouble sew them like everyone else.

Lovely.....

As others have said be sure that your coop and run are secure. If the cats to start to bother the birds then call animal control but before you do ensure that you are legally allowed to keep chickens. I've seen folks in this situation call AC for help with dogs and then get told they have to get rid of the chickens due to HOA or county/city laws.

Luck!

I wish I could offer some good advice, but I just want to say my cat had a brief meeting with our chicken and I thought she realized the chicken was bigger than most small animals she chases. But nooooo she is totally stalking the chicken. We have a copp and run for her and the cat is still trying to get to her. We also have a young male pitbull and I totally trust him more than the cat. I would go the extra mile to ensure their safety. And maybe a strong spraying hose for the cats. Good luck!!

I would first try to see if the cats and chickens can coexist peacefully. If you see a cat actively chasing a chicken, chase it off. Try to get the chickens to keep to the opposite side of the yard from the neighbor. Put their coop there if you can or make it a comfy place for a chicken to nap. Give them all their treats in that area. I would talk to my neighbor about my concerns and my ideas about fixing the problem. Ask if he would be willing to feed the cats in an area of his yard further away from your chickens. Take along some eggs to break the ice.

I've heard good things about coyote and bear pee being spread around to deter predators but that might also scare your chickens. You could just put that or what you are considering on the fence that they are coming over. Automatic sprinklers could work at night.

Back
Top Bottom