House chicken questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilyLovesBugs, Dec 30, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I have a few questions about house chickens that I would like to ask, I am not getting one, but I would like to know the answers in case something ever happened and I needed to bring one in. Plus I am just curious [​IMG]

I know most people use chicken diapers, but how often would one change them, and how do you wash/ change them?

How do they get along with cats or other animals?

Where would they lay and sleep?

Thank you!!

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    - To change them, some people put a baggie in side the pouch for pooping in, once it gets used, they throw it away and/or rinse it out with a hose (in summer) or faucet in winter.
    - depends on the pet. At first they will be scared and totally freaked out of a new pet, but then they will get used to them. When Lily (Shetland sheepdog) first met them (after they changed coops to closer up to the house), they went crazy. But after awhile of her just hanging around them, they love her! she will come in and drink out of their water (ew..) and once i saw them laying together
    - alot of people just let them sleep wherever, and some have a little cage they go in at night.

hope these help :)

3. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you! How do they lay though if they have the diaper on?

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    they lay in the diaper i guess [​IMG]
    [​IMG] i guess when you see her getting in a box ready to lay you take it off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by