House Chickens..Who has them & Why

Quote:
I'm so sorry. That's awful
sad.png

I hope things work out soon!

Well, I've decided I'm going to have to play mama roo & enforce the "we're all going to get along" thing.
The bullies (3 of the 4 Barred Rocks) are getting a nudge from me whenever they decide to gang up, but she still spent most of the day in the "box". There are other places for her to hide, but I suppose she feels safest in there (it's a large dog crate & I can fit food & water in with her)

Tonight I did see a bit of improvement from her, when I put the others out to free range, I forced her to come out too. I sat in the grass & she did wander from my lap for a bit, happily pecking at the grass & whatever bugs happened to flit her way. Unfortunately if she happened to see any of the others start to come near, she shot right back into my lap hiding her head under my arm.

The roost went much the same as every other evening, but after 5 times of putting her back, she finally stayed. I just snuck down & peeked in to make sure she wasn't pushed off & she's on a part of the roost that's separated, but the fact that she's on the roost & not hiding in a corner is an improvement!

I do have to say though the neighbors down the road fireworks are NOT helping anyone in the coop settle in tonight!!!
he.gif

thanks ya im moving in 18 days (yes im counting lol) but ill start work up there and come back down here in a couple months and get them. its gonna be awhile before i see them though.

While reading your latest post, a thought occurred to me. She still sees you as her Mama. She is clearly exhibiting chick behavior, like hiding "under your wing" when other chickens approach, not wanting to roost, having separation anxiety, etc. The best thing to do is to act like a mama hen would. It's been awhile since I've had a hen with chicks, but I do remember than when they decide it's time for the baby to get some independence, they turn pretty cold. You may have to just stop babying her altogether, and maybe that will help her break the attachment. I know it sounds harsh, but in the end it's for her own good to leave the mama hen (you) and join the flock. Best of luck, you are obviously a very loving and caring "chicken mama." She is lucky to have you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom