House duck

clojo

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Manchester, England
Hi I'm just looking for some advice, im thinking of getting a house duck but I work from 9-3, if I bought a duck run for outside would my duck be ok in there with food water etc until I arrived home each day? Thanks

I'm not trying to be funny but most ducks stay outside 24/7 so I would think that would be fine?

I'm not trying to be funny but most ducks stay outside 24/7 so I would think that would be fine?

Thanks I understand sounds silly but I just wanted to make sure as it would be a house duck and for the first few weeks/months it wouldn't be outside at all on its own and for long periods of time, can I just put it outside one day and that's fine?

Last edited:

A house duck is different than a normal duck as they don't usually have conpainions and are raised to be imprinted on humans.

No, it wouldn't be fair to the duck if you work those types of hours and they duck will be alone. You need another duck, but yes they can be outside in a run just not alone whethwr in the house or outside.

Last edited:
A house duck is different than a normal duck as they don't usually have conpainions and are raised to be imprinted on humans.

No, it wouldn't be fair to the duck if you work those types of hours and they duck will be alone. You need another duck, but yes they can be outside in a run just not alone whethwr in the house or outside.

Did not think of the companion part

Do you have any other animals? Ducks are a flocking bird, and I would be concerned about stress if it were by itself for so long while you are away. Not like a dog or a cat. Not that I'm suggesting putting the dog or cat in with the duckie! But you may want to consider two ducks to keep each other company. Also, there is a lot of mischief a duck can get into in 6 hours. So make sure everything is tight and secure, and that they cannot run out of water while you are gone. Make sure it is predator proof, as well. Also, it has been my experience that when the ducklings graduate from the bathtub to the outside pen, they much prefer to be outdoors. So, no worries there.

Back
Top Bottom