House in enclosed run - who doesn't shut coop door at night

I keep my pop doors open. I started out with good intentions but forgetfullness won out
hmm.png

61628_coup_1.jpg

My runs are entirely composed of tight hardware cloth on 2x4's, with seams double-sewn by yours truly (not zipped with plastic ties, but sewn with long chunks of wire). I don't close th pop doors except when it's really cold out.

The sparrows/ finches can't fit through the openings in the edges of the doors. I know because I've seen them try to get in. If a snake can and did, I never saw the evidence. Knowing my birds, it's because it became dinner...

Last summer I left the coop (really only a small house for them to roost in) doors open every night. It was so hot. Then I started reading all the threads on here preaching doom and gloom so this summer I closed them up every night. I would wait until 10 or 11 pm to go close them because it was somewhat cooler. I don't think they liked me much.

I leave my pop doors open 24/7. I have 2 coops open to 1 run. Most of the day the run is also open for the ladies to free-range, but our entire yard is fenced in. About 3 1/2 acres of pasture and 1 1/2 acre of chain-link fenced yard around our house.

Back
Top Bottom