House rooster: an ethical dilemma

This is going to be a very long post so bear with me if interested. :)

I have a house rooster. Well technically a cockerel, since he is only eleven months old. I have always been unsure if keeping him indoors is the right thing for him and decided I need some advice and opinions. All thoughts on the issues welcome.

Background: selfish old me saw a wish list breed's eggs (Booted Bantams) for sale on ebay and had to buy them even though it was late autumn and none of my hens were broody. Got six eggs, four of them were no good on arrival, two developed, but one died mid incubation. This left me with a solo chick. And I could not find anyone selling baby chicks because of the season (I live in the UK where chicks are only available from private breeders or poultry farms).

Anyway he grew up in the house. First in a brooder in the lounge, and then I made him some nappies so he could have free roam of the house. Once I realised he was male I tried to rehome him but in the middle of winter no one was interested in a single male chick.

So I decided to keep him as a house chicken at least until he reached maturity. I would carry him around the garden where my outdoor flock of eight live but he was naturally scared of the other chickens. When he started crowing at five months I tried to let him spend some time outside in a pen among the freeranging chickens. Even though they could not get to him he was terrified and just frantically paced at the door of the pen for hours. I felt awful because he was bonded to me and trusted me to keep him safe.

Yes I probably could have persisted in the look but no touch integration method and yes after a few weeks he might have been able to mix up with the flock but to do that I would have had to abandon him out there again and again. I couldn't do it.

So back in the house he came. He sees and hears the other chickens all day and occasionally a hen will sneak in the back door. When this happens he used to run away. In the last few weeks he has been bolder. He approaches any hen who wanders in. He attempts to tidbit them but when one hen actually responded he attacked her (kicking and pecking, not attempting to mate). So he seems a bit confused but definitely not scared anymore.

So now that he is older and braver, is it still the right thing to keep him indoors?

The answer seems obvious at first. He's a chicken. He's a healthy young cockerel. He should be outside free ranging and mating the hens as per his instincts. The problem is I already have one too many roosters. I have two roosters and only six hens. Luckily they all get on great. No fighting between the roos and the hens do not seem over mated or stressed. They free range all day with plenty of space but the actual coop space is limited. I have the coop on concrete and the concreted area of my garden has no more space to extend the coop. Plus my other half just about tolerates the amount of chickens I have already so getting more hens and adding my house rooster to make a larger flock is not a possibility.

So practically speaking it is not really possible to integrate my house roo with the outdoor flock. This leaves me with the option of attempting to rehome him. There is never much call for a spare rooster and I fear he would end up in someone's pot. If not there is no guarantee someone else would provide a set up that is necessarily better than his current situation. Right now he is completely safe from predators, he is healthy and clean, he doesn't get lonely because I work from home, he has the freedom to wander as he likes around my modest sized house, he is pampered and he is loved. If I gave him away I worry he could end up in a tiny coop or a cage or left to the mercy of foxes.

I have considered all his needs and as far as I can see there are only two main things he is really missing: foraging and mating. His breed have enormous feet feathers that are completely impractical for foraging and I do take him out to my front garden from time to time to scratch around in the leaves etc, so I can live with him not being able to properly forage. This leaves the mating.

Do chickens feel pleasure when mating? (Straight faces please.) the hens seem to endure it and move on. The roosters seem to do it as an impulse, an instinct they can't refuse. They will go from one hen to the other with no obvious satisfaction after the deed is done. But who knows? Have there been studies on this? What I'm getting at is am I denying my house rooster a form of happiness? Or does his drive to mate diminish without being physically close to hens? In this case would it be better if he never had any interaction at all with my other chickens? Or should I consider getting my house rooster a female friend? Or arranging some regular 'conjugal visits' for him? :idunno

This is the little guy in question:View attachment 1605031

Wow what a cutie
I've two house rooster very typical house pets who enjoy to have fun from their room to lobby sometime they go on roof but nowadays eagles are alot wandering so no more roof days

Depends on you if u want or not as rooster Is a very good pet (in my eyes) they are interesting intelligent birds who understands everything

My rooster know their name
I actually train them for house pets they don't poop on bed they go on floor and poop

Sometimes they do never mind for that

Yes! They enjoy mating as fun
I don't have hens so I bring separate soft toys teddy bears for each of them so they can play with their toys not with my slippers :gig

I agree but then I see the enthusiasm with which the outdoor roosters literally 'chase tail' and think that the drive to mate must be very strong. Therefore logically they must feel some kind of relief or fulfilment after the deed. The question is whether the drive to mate is there regardless of the presence of hens or not. I. E. If my house roo never sees a hen does he still dream of the ladies?
Maybe he just has so more more free time and headspace because he’s not chasing tail! Maybe his life is the best of all!

Here is a site to understand rooster behavior. Whether you keep them in a bachelor pad and this is a possibility which also controls chicken math unexpectedly or integrated to the flock. It also has suggestions for how to train a rooster to be kind and received well. I think flock integration is sometimes hard for people because they don’t understand the behavior and establishing order has to exist in order for flock to exist. The dreaded pecking order but there are things an owner can do to socialize the chickens. I think by not allowing the chickens the chance to be in a flock either bachelor pad or in a traditional flock they are missing out not to mention the mess and odors they create in a house situation. Just ignore the sections on ordinances and roosters with resulting male deaths at hatcheries and farms. Not intended although may be a reality due to incidence of males in hatch rates up to 50% of hatch when individuals are not prepared for that. A bachelor pad for roosters is an option to assist integration and prevents fighting as the females may be the reason. Still a full life. Whatever your choice here are some suggestions on socializing roosters.
http://www.chickenrunrescue.org/Rooster-Behavior

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your thoughts. As I said I don't think it will be possible to integrate him into my existing flock because I already have two roosters. I also have strong reservations about rehoming him since I know there are so many spare roosters. I tried to sell my second outdoor rooster at one point because I didn't really need two and no one was interested. Even when I advertised him as free there were few responses and I got the feeling they wanted him for free meat. So it would be very difficult for me to find a good home for him which is very important to me since I am so attached to him.

The option is there to try again to rehome my second outdoor rooster and integrate the house rooster in his place, but then am I trading one life for another simply because I personally prefer the indoor rooster? I willingly hatched these roosters so I am responsible for giving or finding them good homes. Although I am not entirely against people processing chickens, I would struggle with handing over a rooster of mine directly to be slaughtered unless I absolutely could not keep him for the sake of too much noise and neighbour complaints for example or if the hens were being injured by him etc. So I think realistically I will have to keep all three roosters which will mean keeping the house rooster where he is, unless one of the outside roosters starts causing problems or dies young (they are a couple of years older than the indoor roo).

However I do still wonder if the indoor rooster would benefit from some regular time alone with the hens/a single hen?
Hello KeeperOfMunchkins:
Oh man he is SUPER handsome! This sounds like a rather unusual situation. If you are already questioning how someone else would treat him or what his quality of life (or length thereof) would be elsewhere, then it seems to me that the decision has been made.
It is an unfortunate (or fortunate, depending upon who you ask) consequence of caring for our feathered families that plans don't always go the way we intend.
Case in point, you just had to have those eggs, despite it being the "wrong" time of the year. All that you went through to get them and everything up to this point got you to where you are now...with a little man that loves you just as much as you love him. He seems to be where he needs to be, so do what you can to keep him healthy & happy.
And if your husband is ok with having a house chicken, please let me know how you managed that so that I can keep that info in my back pocket!
I had a lovely little roo once who came into our family and though he wanted to bond with our girls, he was too young, not even fully feathered and squarely in the crosshairs of my existing rooster. So, he bonded with me.

It was my experience that even without life outside in the beginning of his time with us, when we supervised everyone's free range time, he did interact with the flock, steering well clear (mostly) of the RocketMan (so named for his running speed!)
As your young man comes into his own, his hormones will develop and even though he's bonded to you, that'll be a crazy time for him.
Do some research on how to work through his 'episodes', where the veil comes down over his eyes & instinct takes over. When you're able to talk him out of it & the veil drops, he'll be himself again. (If you think it's crazy to read about, just wait! It's crazier to live through! But it is all part of their physiology.)
I suppose you could also look into castration, but I never found anyone who knew enough about chickens to do it & I darned sure wasn't gonna do it myself!
Regardless, I know that he has a good home.

Here is a site to understand rooster behavior. Whether you keep them in a bachelor pad and this is a possibility which also controls chicken math unexpectedly or integrated to the flock. It also has suggestions for how to train a rooster to be kind and received well. I think flock integration is sometimes hard for people because they don’t understand the behavior and establishing order has to exist in order for flock to exist. The dreaded pecking order but there are things an owner can do to socialize the chickens. I think by not allowing the chickens the chance to be in a flock either bachelor pad or in a traditional flock they are missing out not to mention the mess and odors they create in a house situation. Just ignore the sections on ordinances and roosters with resulting male deaths at hatcheries and farms. Not intended although may be a reality due to incidence of males in hatch rates up to 50% of hatch when individuals are not prepared for that. A bachelor pad for roosters is an option to assist integration and prevents fighting as the females may be the reason. Still a full life. Whatever your choice here are some suggestions on socializing roosters.
http://www.chickenrunrescue.org/Rooster-Behavior
Anything that gives these handsome, intelligent birds a chance to thrive is a good idea in my book!

I like several other points in the site previously mentioned regarding rooster behavior one is you do not have to hatch. Can still collect eggs daily whether believe fertilized or not. Also don’t forget the owner is the flock leader even above the Alpha in the flock. You train them for what you want. I like the previous thoughts on integration during free range even if housed separately under supervision this way they have space to avoid confrontations. The beta will always defer to the alpha and it does not usually wind up in fighting, excessive pecking, or bloodshed. Chickens are sensitive to recognize signs prior to this point. In the article it helps the owner recognize unwanted behaviors, how to avoid stimulating that response, and achieving a more desirable response based on instinct. I only read about one person here who talked her vet into castration successfully but good to know some might consider it. This was in order to keep the rooster in the flock without concern for breeding as at max and loved the guy.

I really don't have much knowledge of roosters, except what I've learned here on BYC. However, I've had pet birds for many years. Budgies, cockatiels, grass parakeets (to name a few), all of which live in large flocks in the wild. It's a little different than chickens, because they pair off to raise their young, but still, they need a "flock" to be happy. In most cases of exotic birds kept as pets, that "flock" is the owner, and as long as they get the company and mental stimulation they need, they can be fine, living as house pets. Males kept without a mate will often relieve their own pent up needs, so to speak. That doesn't mean they aren't happy. After all, we don't question keeping hens without a rooster, do we? Yet hens also show a drive, or desire, what have you, to mate, when they squat for their owners.
Your bird has shown that he is not comfortable around the other chickens, and he is comfortable being with you in the house. That could change, but it may not. I've had hand raised cockatiels that spent their entire lives having the choice to interact with other cockatiels, that never chose to do so. I think the question is, are you and your hubby ok with keeping this bird as a house pet? If so, problem solved. If not, frankly, I'd look for a home where he can continue to be a housepet, rather than force him into a flock.
I have worked with dogs all my life, and dog behavior is my passion. Dogs are also pack animals, but many dogs grow up as single pets and are very uncomfortable around other dogs. Yet they have happy and fulfilled lives anyway. Even the ones that are intact, but never get a chance to sire pups. Frankly, your roos behavior should be your guide, he'll let you know what he needs. Society's "norms" are irrelevant.

Kramer did it!
LJS.png

If you are willing to keep him as a house pet, I see no harm in it at all, especially since you describe him as healthy and happy in his current situation. As for mating, yes, I am certain roosters enjoy it, or they wouldn't do it. But it's not something he needs in order to be happy or healthy.

If you really don't want him in your house, then it is a different matter. I don't see re-homing this bird as a viable option because I don't see anyone else taking the care that is necessary for him to integrate into a new flock. You could try building him his own small coop outside, and maybe try introducing a hen into the coop. It would take careful monitoring, but it's quite possible his instincts would kick in and he'd learn to behave normally. And he might do just fine if he bonds to the hen-- it may make him not need you all the time.

Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you.

Back
Top Bottom