House Roosters

torch21

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Hi everyone! Please bear with me while I explain my situation quickly.

I rescued several roosters from becoming coyote food at a local wildlife rehab I interned at over the summer. It's illegal to keep them where I live, so I've found homes for a few of them.

I still have 2 small rescue boys, one silkie, & one Japanese bantam. I lost a chicken to Mareks (confirmed via necropsy) a few months ago and now I can't re-home these dudes even if I wanted to.... which I don't because my family and I are pretty attached to them! But because of the crowing, they HAVE to be house chickens.

The last month or so, some problems have cropped up. They still go outside to free range with the ladies, but one of them is REALLY causing a stink when he goes out. All he wants to do is mount and he causes absolute chaos, so I've been limiting him to the porch, until he starts incessantly crowing, then it's back in the house.

The other problem is that they've started to crow at about 6:30 AM and they literally don't stop all day long. It's disrupting our household, especially bc both my husband and I work from home.

I'm saving up to get them a two story indoor coop for when they have to be locked up so they have more vertical room to explore, but for now they spend a good chunk of their day in a large dog crate. They get treats, they have a dirt bath, a mirror, toys to play with, a mixture of straw, leaves, and bedding to kick around in, and some landscaping rocks for different feels. I don't know how else to enrich their lives so that they don't feel the need to scream at us all day, haha!!

We've got a crow collar on our one outdoor roo that works pretty well, so we're considering crow collars on these guys, but the collars do make me a little nervous. I don't mind them crowing here and there, but ALL DAY LONG has me feeling a little strung out. We're also getting diapers so they can spent more time around the house. But in the meantime, does anyone have suggestions??

PS: they are buddies and get along really well, in case anyone is concerned about that. They are inseparable out free ranging outside as well!

Thanks in advance y'all!!!

Honestly you should rehome them to a place where they can live outside. Chickens in the house is a serious health hazard, and having poop plastered to their vents underneath the diaper is also not healthy. Chickens need to forage and be outside. And they will never stop crowing. Your life will be miserable.

Honestly you should rehome them to a place where they can live outside. Chickens in the house is a serious health hazard, and having poop plastered to their vents underneath the diaper is also not healthy. Chickens need to forage and be outside. And they will never stop crowing. Your life will be miserable.

They are Marek's carriers. No one wants them. It's either indoor life or culling.

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you except they may grow out of excessive behaviors after their “teenage” stage? Crowing and trying to mount are normal, but might even out with age.

@Hei 20 has a young house roo; she might be able to offer some experiences with you?

Back
Top Bottom