Housecats and chickens?

My barn cats run from my hens even the chicks now that the roo has decided that they are indeed his! I might add he's a better mouser then the cats too! Always bringing his girls a mouse to eat.
big_smile.png

55108_lord.jpg

I have two outdoor barn cats and several ferals. They all give the chickens a wide berth, even the chicks that are also outside. My leghorns shove the cat out of his food dish if I don't stop them and he weighs more than they do!

The other day I caught three young pullets ganging up on one of my cats and chasing him around the yard.. ROFL..

ChickieBooBoo, that's an adorable photo with the hen and kittens!
love.gif

I have an indoor/outdoor cat and a cat who decided she wants to be a yard cat instead of sleeping & eating inside. Neither one is at all interested in the chickens after each got his/her nose pecked by a curious pullet. Both cats wander in and out of coops looking for mice or a cozy place to sleep some days. The yard cat got interested in some newly hatched chicks, but the broody mom fluffed up to a HUGE chicken size and rattled that war cry, whereupon Licorice simply became very disinterested in the chicks. She meandered out into the pasture to hunt gophers, instead. Like that had been her idea to begin with - no chicks are worth battling a massive Buff Orpington to get to them.

Back
Top Bottom