Housesitting - Chickens missing - (feathers everywhere!) Help

lizodonnell

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Posted in another section earlier and was redirected here. After reading a bit more, I guess I should provide more information.

I am housesitting for friends who have 3 hens - I think they are bantum silkies. They look like vegas show girls! I woke up this morning about 7 and went out to feed them, and only one was in the house. There was a pile of feathers about 20 feet away from the house and another pile right by the little ramp that they walk up to get into their house.

By looking at your website it was probably fox or coyote. We live in seattle on 1/2 and acre. These chickens live in a converted doghouse, there is no fencing or gate to latch. They wander free and the hens that are missing are about 3 years old. The one left is about 5 years old. I don't think they have every had any trouble.

The property is located on a river, there are bald eagles, hawks, moles, etc. I'm sure there are coyotes and fox.....

I am unable to reach them and am afraid that the other one is going to get killed. I feel sick! Any advice would be appreciated. Should I bring her inside at night, should I go to the feed store and get a cage so she'll at least be safe at night?

Thanks for any advice.....Liz

You should either put a door on the coop and latch it at night or put it in a cage or something because if you don't I would be very surprised if the last chicken dosn't get killed.

^^^

Yeah, that.

My guess would be a raccoon. If it's a raccoon, it will surely be back for more. I would bring her in at night. Just put a large stick in a box and she will roost on that. Let your friends take care of the coop door/cage. At least that is what I would do, since it's not your fault and not really your responsibility since they didn't provide a secure coop in the first place.

Vegas showgirls, hehe.

If you don't have time to make the house secure you can bring her in and have her sleep in a bathroom or laundry room with some paper on the floor. Whatever took the other 2 is sure to be back tonight.
Good luck.

sad.png
I'm so sorry you had to experience this, Liz.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom