Housesitting - Chickens missing (piles of feathers) help!

lizodonnell

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I am housesitting for friends who have 3 hens - I think they are bantum silkies. They look like vegas show girls! I woke up this morning about 7 and went out to feed them, and only one was in the house. There was a pile of feathers about 20 feet away from the house and another pile right by the little ramp that they walk up to get into their house.
By looking at your website it was probably fox or coyote. We live in seattle on 1/2 and acre. I am unable to reach them and am afraid that the other one is going to get killed. I feel sick! Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to figure out how the predator got to the birds and fix that. Keep the remaining bird locked up. Look all around just in case they aren't dead; maybe both piles of feathers are from one bird and the other is hiding. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this under such circumstances. Good luck.

ETA: if you have further questions, post in this section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=13 There will be many more people that can help you watching there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom