Housing for coturnix quail

my hutch was wrapped in chicken wire except the floor which was i guess half inch hardware cloth, I then took more half inch hardware cloth and clipped it to 6 inches high around the sides so the quail couldnt stick thier heads through. I also did that on my hanging pens.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Good idear!!
smile.png
I may have to do that!

hehe if you'remeaning about the 6 inch high hardware cloth yep it really works my birds dont even think about putting their heads through all they can get thruogh is the tip of their beak to snatch at a peice of food im offering them through the wire.
smile.png

i first did it to avoid them hurting their necks but then after reading of things that have happeend to quails in chicken wire im glad i did what i did because it seems that they're dumb (ofcourse they are haha) and will stick thier heads through when predators are around...and the poor owners come up to see headless quail...so sad.
sad.png

In Utah there's no permit for coturnix, but the combined fees for a 5-year permit for bobwhites is $185.00. Yikes! I'll have to decide if I want to mess with the permit (like if I'm going to try selling them or the eggs) or if I'll just remove them from my stock sometime next year. No sense making a snap decision. lol

Back
Top Bottom