Housing on sloped land

Hi from Ga.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the photos, speckledhen! How high above grade did you make it? Any problem with chickens or other critters going under it? That's one of the things I've trying to figure out -- a run on a slope, because where I'm at, without a predator proof run, the whole lot of them would probably be gone in about half an hour even during the daytime.

The front was about 1 foot off the ground and I'm not sure about the back, maybe 2 feet. When you have a slope like that, you really need a good level. It will look weird to you, even appearing to be raised up at the back end-trick of the eye with the slope, but a level will insure you have a solid, level foundation.

Originally, the pen was in the front of the coop and now, it is a humongous one off the back down that slope because we ended up with many more chickens than the original 8x8 held (hence the addition). When the pen was off the front, we didn't have issues with critters underneath because it was a good bit off the ground--there was too much daylight under there for anything to really hide and when the girls free ranged, they went under there and flushed anything that might have wanted to be there. Now, of course, the girls themselves hang out under there all the time--nothing else has a chance, LOL.

Last edited:
I'm also on a slope. It's turning out to be a bit of a problem with my run. I terraced it, but have a lower level that is steep and it looks dangerous to me, like a chicken could get stuck in some way down there. I don't want to fill it in because that would create a dam effect in the adjacent yard. I can't really explain what I want to do. I will take pictures Tuesday and show you. I'm going to try to "cantilever" a floor that is even with the upper level and to the back wall of the run. If you look at the pictures on my page, I do have one posted showing the slope.

Now that Nifty and I have fixed the issues with my coop page construction photos (which somehow were messed up in the site conversion), the link is in my sig line. There are tons of photos all during construction if you're interested. Check my sig line, bottom left.
smile.png

Last edited:
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

My coop is built on a slope.

that exacly how mine slopes. do you have picture on how you set the posts leval oh heck have you got pictures of the biuld. i love your coop
droolin.gif

never thought i could get away with building one like that.
mine will be made out of pallets. how big is your coop

I only had slopes to choose from, so I chose the lowest grade available that was close to the house. The coop was raised, so we built a sloped roof for the run rather than go straight out from the coop and have to buy posts longer than the usual 10 ft. length for the end of the run. The slope turns out to be great for drainage, but I hadn't planned on that. Here's a pic that shows the slope well, from before I finsihed up the yard:

The front was about 1 foot off the ground and I'm not sure about the back, maybe 2 feet. When you have a slope like that, you really need a good level. It will look weird to you, even appearing to be raised up at the back end-trick of the eye with the slope, but a level will insure you have a solid, level foundation.

This is what I found, too. I must have spent a half day convincing myself that everything was level. I swore up and down that something was off, but it wasn't. Now, don't go asking me if everything was square....that's a different story. But, it is level by golly.

LOL, gotta use a level for sure on a slope! I kept putting the level on every corner and every side, just to make sure I wasn't crazy, that the back end wasn't sticking up in the air, but nope, just an optical illusion, or as the old comedian Norm Crosby would say, an "obstacle delusion"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom