Housing pheasants with other game.

If you do plan on putting them together, make sure you have a LARGE enough pen for all of them.
Lots of hiding spots, cover the small birds where the larger birds cant get to them. and WATCH them....dont allow the bigger birds to pick on, bully, the smaller birds. Remember you will have a pecking order that the birds will need to establish, but the pecking order is different from the bullying!!

I am new here.....just discovering this wonderful resource of information. I have spent the last couple of days going through and just reading thread after thread of responses to the miriad of questions asked. Some of the answers I have read are pretty right on the money and some (through my experience) arent.
On this one I have seen a little of both.
I have kept california valley quail with goldens and have had no issues. They eat in the same area and cohabit shelter with out a hitch but this is just my experience in trying this.
I do agree that there are many variables involved and that some outcomes may very well be different.
I have also kept scaled quail with elliot pheasants and they werent nearly as accomidating. Taking every oppurtunity to take harrass and peck thier little cotton top cage mates.
If given a single answer I would say if you have the area or ability to seperate them....do so.
My two cents........................................good luck and happy holidays.
cool.png

Try putting pine branches and digging out places for the quail to hide. If they can burry themselves in pine branches the pheasants can't hurt them as bad.

Back
Top Bottom