1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Housing quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Plucky Clucks, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Plucky Clucks

Plucky Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2015
    I currently have 2 laying adult coturnix quail and 8 youngsters almost ready to move outside and I'm looking for some advice on housing them in the future. I've noticed that most people house them in rabbit hutch like cages off the ground with little or no access to fresh grass and other plant matter. Right now my 2 older quail are in an 8 paneled puppy pen with the bottom 10 inches lined with small chicken wire as well as a covering over top and it seems to work well keeping them contained. They have fine dirt to take dust baths in (with quite the enthusiasm) and grass to burrow through to make their tunnels. They lay their eggs in 2 consistent areas so I don't have to worry about hunting them down. Is there an issue with continuing to keep them in this manner? I'm considering building them an 8' x 2' A-frame run with a built-in nesting box so they and any more to come can continue having a more natural habitat like my free range chickens. Any issues anyone knows of keeping them in this manner?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by