Housing question...

jcbettyb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Longview, NC
I have new chicks coming around the second week of May.

It seems to me that a lot of you keep them inside until they are older and then place them in their coops outside. Is this a personal choice?

We have plans to keep them in our small milking barn with their heating lamp inside a crate under they are old enough to move to their coop. We are currently not milking so no other animals will be going in there. Thoughts on this?

Thanks...jcbettyb

It's always a personal choice to keep your chicks in the house. For me, it was my husband's personal choice not to complain when I couldn't bear to leave them outside without me.
lol.png

You just have to make SURE they are kept warm enough. I have a shed outside. It doesn't have lots of drafts and I could have run electric out there, but I chose to keep them inside. I knew they needed checked on every couple hours at first. It was a good choice for me, or I would have lost a couple of my babies who needed medical attention.

If I were to get chicks now, I probably would only keep them in the house first few days because the outside temps are better than February was for us. Best of luck!

Thanks.

My other half has had chicks and when I suggested keeping them inside he didn't take it it well. It said, "What!!! Only people in China do that!"
lol.png

I told him about this forum, but he won't listen.

Our small barn is very secure with a cemet floor and a door that locks from the outside. No animals can get inside. The two windows are covered during the winter. If I find that the heating lamp is not enough I can add a small electric heater to the barn. The outlets can handle it.

Thanks again,

jcbettyb

It is all a personal choice. I am like Alexis and wanted to keep a close eye on my chicks. I think I would be a nervous wreck if they were outside! My chicks are 3 weeks old now and I am now ready for them to go outside. I am getting some more chicks the 23rd and will be keeping them inside for the first couple weeks, just like I did the first ones. It just makes me feel more comfortable and it is more convenient to keep an eye on them that way. Good luck!
smile.png

We live in the farmhouse that my SO grew up in. When I moved up here 2 years ago, my dog became the first animal ever to step foot inside the house. That's only because he adores my dog and she's got the best manners. The other 2, the cat and the border collie, are only allowed in for medical reasons, such as after their spayings. I knew given that history it would be pointless to ask for the chicks to be inside for any reason. Our chicks are starting out in the harley shed until we get their coop finished. We are fortunate that it has electricity running to it and so far we aren't having any problems keeping it 90 - 95 with an oil-filled electric heater, even without using the brooder lights. It's clean, it's draft-proof, and the temp is right. That's really all you need to worry about; IMO.

Mine always go straight out to the shed...I couldn't have them in the house, I would have to move out:>) I'm in Canada so the nights are still chilly in early May when I usually get them. I've only ever lost one out of over a hundred. I just make sure they are draft free and set the heat lamp around 18" above them.

Back
Top Bottom