Housing requirments for Rooster?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jody, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I just got a 1yr old Barred Rock Rooster today.. I had to build him temporary shelter.. It's around 24"x24"x24" with a perch about an inch off the floor. Will he be ok in this? I had to hurry before it got dark.

My plan was to allow him to free range all day, then just lock him up at night. I can't keep him with the hens, so he needs his own place.

I need to find more wood and make his home bigger, but wanted to find out what requirements are different for roosters than hens. I know he won't need a nesting box nor light for 14hrs, so is that the only difference.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I had mine in a cage that was 3 feet tall three feet wide and five feet long with a recylce bin with hay in it feed and water..are you planning to integrate him into your flock in 30 days?

3. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I don't plan on housing him with the hens so I can avoid any potential problems such as pecking, hens with bare/scratched backs, etc.

He and a hen already pecked each others combs through the chicken wire.

I plan on allowing him to free range all day while hens remain in their run.

4. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Then those measurements I gave are okay! He will be lonely![​IMG]

5. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Then those measurements I gave are okay! He will be lonely![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by