Housing Standards with Banties?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MonkeyZero, Jun 16, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    HI

Well I was curious, I have about a year old OEGB, and 2 month old RIR and a 3 month old Dark Brahma Banty. So can they be in the some coop and run? THey have a coop thats about 7 ft long. A large run, 2 LARGE(I used drawers from old dressers) feeding station, and 2 large watering stations. The coop has 4 roosts. And a nest box, but the OEGB nests behind and below the coop. Can they live toghether. I will have to watch them, but should they be ok? They OEGB is a very kind submissive, and yet scared bird.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 large hens in with my bantams. And they are fine together.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Probably if your roo is a banty & the ONLY roo. I'd not put two roos in there or a hen banty with standard roos...

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    No roos.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Then I'd say it would be okay, as long as there is plenty of room & roosts to get away if they (the larger) chickens start picking on the banty....and just watch for signs....most of the time, the banties are more fiery than the standards & stand up for themselves pretty well. [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I am intentionally raising a roo and 2 girls- I loved my big roo, but he was to much of a lover and gave him a larger flock. I enjoy the rooster as he calls attention to danger, will cause a ruckus if there is any one in the yard and some solicitors are fearful of roos...Perhaps they wont be respectful to Roger, worth a try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by