Housing

So many differing opinions. But thanks.
I've had 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 without issue. I have a cage of 2 roos to 5 females. I've found that a lot of quail knowledge on the internet boils down to a version of either "We've always done this without a problem so it has to be the best way", "I did this once and had nothing but problems", or "I read in a book/on the internet and it said this way was good/bad". There aren't even standard names for many of the colors/variations. It is infuriating to someone like me who likes things like this to be heavily standardized and understood, like with chickens.

My advice is try the 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 and see if it works for you. It just might. If it doesn't, understand you don't need roosters. The hens will lay without them.

I've had 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 without issue. I have a cage of 2 roos to 5 females. I've found that a lot of quail knowledge on the internet boils down to a version of either "We've always done this without a problem so it has to be the best way", "I did this once and had nothing but problems", or "I read in a book/on the internet and it said this way was good/bad". There aren't even standard names for many of the colors/variations. It is infuriating to someone like me who likes things like this to be heavily standardized and understood, like with chickens.

My advice is try the 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 and see if it works for you. It just might. If it doesn't, understand you don't need roosters. The hens will lay without them.
Thank you. that is some good advice. I just did that. I have two cages with 1 to 1, and 1 with 1 to 2. So far so good. I don’t want to get rid of my roosters… they are my pets.🥰

You're not wrong but also 1 roo with 2 hens is likely to result in overbreeding and/or injuries. That's not to say it's impossible, of course it could work for someone and maybe not for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom