houston we have a problem....

coachwife2004

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
please excuse my very limited knowledge here, ok I have 5 chochin hens aprox 1 1/2years and 4 domineckers 5 mons I have just discovered one of my young ones is a roo!!!!! here's the question I pick up eggs daily and put them in the fridge do I need to worry that they are fertilized or does taking them out of the nest stop the progress and I have 5 nest boxes for 8 hens is that enough they don't seem to use them all just like two of them?? is that weird and one more question they are free range I do feed lay pellets every morning is there a way to increase egg production?? the black and white haven't started laying yet....

The eggs are fertilized prior to being laid. If they are gathered daily, you are not going to get eggs with forming chicks, if that is what you mean. I have a roo with my hens and I gather daily. Plus, unless you have a broody hen, the eggs are not being incubated at all. I hope this helps!

I hope somebody answers your question about your hens laying in just two places...I don't know the answer either but all 5 of mine tend to lay in one spot, and it is not a nesting box!! They push the straw I put in the nesting boxes right out the door, but at least they found a place they like.

Laying in just one or two boxes is pretty typical. I have 9 boxes and most of the time I have 2 or 3 hens in each box trying to lay at the same time. Silly girls!

About the particular nests... they are funny that way. If they see an egg in that nest they will lay one in the used one.... obviously if this nest was good enough for one hen if must be good enough for her.

I use two golf balls and have three nests. They only lay where the golf balls are placed. Never in the empty nest. lol. I have seen one squawk and complain because another hen was laying in the "best nest".

I used to switch the balls into different nests... and seperate the balls each in one nest just for kicks.

lol silly chickens
D.gif

I have an eight hole nest box. There are only two nests that they use. I have actually seen a line form for one of them. It's pretty funny to see 7 or 8 hens screaming and waiting to get into one or two nests with all of the empty ones. They really get hysterical when somebody is taking too long or if the duck or a barn cat is taking a nap in a favored nest.

gig.gif
i have 4 hens and one nest box in which i have a golf ball. they've been laying for a month now, so i thought...i'll take the golf ball out now since they've obviously got the hang of it. Mistake.... the next day i had eggs everywhere BUT the nest box. replaced the ball and everything is back on track!

I have one hen that prefers the corner of the coop where their is no straw or bedding and their are plenty of empty nests! Yes the hens are all crazy . I have all kinds of nests for my ducks and I have golf balls in them and I still have to egg hunt everyday , and geeze that gets old. Their is no way to make them lay more eggs each chicken lays one egg every 24 or 25 hours but maybe some of your other hens will start laying soon since spring is coming. I have 16 hens and I am just now up to 10 eggs a day sometimes 12 so hang in there !

Back
Top Bottom