Hova Bator genesis 1588 temp question

So I got in touch with the company. They did help me reset it. Once in set temp mode he said to actually increase it a degree (even though it says +2.0, he said it does not really mean anything and to increase it up to 3.0). I did that and within 5 minutes it was up to 99.5. He told me to leave it there for at least 30 minutes before getting out of set mode. Once I let it set and got out of set mode it recalibrated the temp on the monitor and now reads just like it is reading with my other thermometers. He did tell me that it should not be run at a humidity of greater than 65% which it does say on the incubator, but I ran mine at 75% during lockdown. I got a great hatch and am now afraid to mess with a good thing. However he said running it higher than 65% could cause the thermostat to go out on it. I am wondering if all of you who have had issues with it were also running your humidity above 65%? Also as a side note, I too am now afraid to trust it. I am feeling the need to go out and get a medical grade thermometer to "quadruple" check it (even though my other 3 independent thermometers are reading exactly what they were during my last set of eggs.... I hate feeling unsure like this.
Interesting, I missed the part about not running it over 65% humidity in the directions - oops. The one I have I bought used, I really don't know how old it is, but I know it was used several times. It's the digital model so I think it's fairly new. Mine read 99.5 on the unit, and my internal thermometer read 100 so I figured that was close enough. It ran like a champ, no issues - other than a less than spectacular hatch. Had 12 shipped eggs, got one viable chick from those, and 26 eggs from my flock, and hatched 16 (possibly 17, I have a straggler). I blame myself for being a novice for the hatch rate. I just ran my lockdown at 70-75% humidity so I hope the next time I use it it works properly. Now that I see this thread I'm nervous! I'll post back if I have issues with the temps.

I did buy mine new and read through all of the directions before using... the not operating above 65% was no where in the directions... on mine it is in very fine print on the control center where the digital read out it under the up/down buttons. The part that I find irritating is that there are a lot of people out there who lock down at 75% and the company knows it. So if they are aware of it then why not work to find a solution like a vapor barrior (AmyLynn). This is the first time that I went that high for lock down and it was the best hatch I have ever had. So now what? Well I did talk to AmyLynn about this and she actually came up with a pretty decent "semi" solution. Keep it at 65% until the chicks start to pip (if you see it) and then raise your humidity to 75%. That way you have your humidity higher for only a day or so.

If you do end up with an issue next time, message me. I can walk you through how to reset it. The only problem is that this only turned out to be a bandaid solution for me... It did get my temp back to where it needed to be but I have to keep resetting it a couple of times a day because it is not holding. I am afraid of temp spikes now. The company is sending me a replacement thermostat which should be here tomorrow.

I did buy mine new and read through all of the directions before using... the not operating above 65% was no where in the directions... on mine it is in very fine print on the control center where the digital read out it under the up/down buttons. The part that I find irritating is that there are a lot of people out there who lock down at 75% and the company knows it. So if they are aware of it then why not work to find a solution like a vapor barrior (AmyLynn). This is the first time that I went that high for lock down and it was the best hatch I have ever had. So now what? Well I did talk to AmyLynn about this and she actually came up with a pretty decent "semi" solution. Keep it at 65% until the chicks start to pip (if you see it) and then raise your humidity to 75%. That way you have your humidity higher for only a day or so.

If you do end up with an issue next time, message me. I can walk you through how to reset it. The only problem is that this only turned out to be a bandaid solution for me... It did get my temp back to where it needed to be but I have to keep resetting it a couple of times a day because it is not holding. I am afraid of temp spikes now. The company is sending me a replacement thermostat which should be here tomorrow.
Hey your right, mine does say it too - but your right - that print was small! I was thinking of getting a second incubator to hatch in, now I know to check for something that is suitable for 75%. I'd like something easier to clean too. Too bad they don't make some kind of plastic insert that goes up the sides to cover the walls better. The one in the bottom just doesn't cut it for me. Something like the interior of a cooler. I guess I should check the threads on home made incubators. I'm going to run the incubator again starting on Sunday - with me luck!

Well, while waiting for the part ...I turned the Gen. back on with another thermometer /hygrometer. It went to 115! degrees. I then tried to set I down into 80 something.... checked it a little while later and it was 115 again on both the readout and the separate thermometer/ hygrometer. Yep, it is toast. So I spent almost 165$ for 3 hatches last year.... did I mention the 2 still airs (hovabators) still work and kept temp fine., and one was damaged and they 'gave it to me'.... So for me the temp won't stay down, no 'off' I guess.. Don't think I will be buying another or recommending it anymore....
sad.png
and I was careful with it.....

Last edited:
Well, while waiting for the part ...I turned the Gen. back on with another hygrometer. It went to 115! I then tried to set I down into 80 something.... checked it a little while later and it was 115 again on both the readout and the separate hygrometer. Yep, it is toast. So I spent almost 200$ for 3 hatches last year.... did I mention the 2 still airs (hovabators) still work and kept temp fine., and one was damaged and they 'gave it to me'.... So for me the temp won't stay down, no 'off' I guess.. Don't think I will be buying another or recommending it anymore....
sad.png
and I was careful with it.....
Your humidity went up to 115 or your temp? I had a second thermometer in mine and my temps were pretty stable, but I never tested the humidity.

No my heat went to 115. Tried it 3 times. unplugged, reset, etc.set all the way down. BTW nothing else on the battery backup UPS 2 of them malfunctioned. The wifi and other still air incubator.
Well, hubby n son who work in businesses that work with circut boards and electronics etc. took a look at it and found the temperature control "Mosfet"... 8 pin chip was burnt out. They also said the soldier joints were a bit 'sloppy'... It has 8 pins and is a .48cent chip --- They looked it up and are going to replace it. (It is the heat regulator....but I kinda guessed that
roll.png
)... And it is out of warranty by a few weeks....
he.gif
so we are keeping the 75$ replacement and family guys will fix the .48cent part that caused the malfunction...as a 'backup' so now you know....But I have already 'tossed' some eggs and will be candeling and checking the others (different stages of incubation) and sad, not like my Shetlands are going to lay anymore this year..... the others are still laying, and I was bout to order and try my hand at some Manderin or other eggs....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom