Hova Bator Genesis- question about temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TattooQ27, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got our first hova bator genesis and we aren't sure what is going on with the temps. The digital readout says its pre-set to 100.0 and its been fluctuating between 99.3 and 99.7 which seems fine.

But....

We also have 3 digital thermometers in there at egg level. 1 is reading 97, another is reading 97.5 and the third is reading 98.4. The digital readout and all 3 of the egg level thermometers have been pretty consistent for 2 days now.

Should we trust the incubator readout and ignore the other 3 thermometers or is something wrong with it and we should send it back?

2. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I usually go with the thermometers that are at egg level, especially if there is three. There is a lot of people who says that this happens and usually the response is trust the thermometers not built into the incubator!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm, the forced air incubators usually don't have that drastic of hot and cold spots, so it sounds like either all 3 external thermometers are wrong, or the incubator thermometer is wrong. I actually have a hard time trusting cheap digital thermometers, but if they've been calibrated I would trust them. If not, it's kind of a toss-up. My Hovabator's thermometer ended up being correct, but Jarrett is right in that most people do not trust it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by