Hova. Gen 1588: Increasing ventilation at hatchtime

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
DUCK EGGS

Is it sufficient to just take out that red plug in the top of the bator to increase ventilation?

Or should the top be, like, raised up on one corner or something

Also, this important question:

I assume this ventilation increase is NOT to be done UNTIL THERE ARE SOME BABIES OUT OF THE EGGS--and not before.

Right? Cuz up until hatching (i.e. for the last three days) the humidity has to be buped up and kept high........

I've never used the bator until now.

I am grateful to anyone who can help

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Thanks, Katy. Funny, I was hoping you would see this!!!

Do you do anything BESIDES keeping the plug out in order to increase ventilation during hatch--or do you just leave as is all the way through?

I leave the plug out all the time....in fact I hope I never need it cause I've got no clue where it is!!
big_smile.png

I run my little water hose down through there... but I've always put tape around it... maybe that's why I've had hatching issues... hmm...leave it open!

I've got to get rid of some chickens.

Last edited:
I never take my plug out of my 1588 unless the humidity gets crazy (the plug on a forced fan bator is to regulate humidity more than anything). Ventilation is regulated via the fan and the holes along the bottom edge of the styrofoam.

I don't take the plug out at all unless the humidity goes too high, because this is what the instructions said to do.

Ventilation is not really and issue, at least I don't think so, because the little fan brings air in.

If I am wrong I hope someone tells me so, though.
hmm.png

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom