Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

Quote:
With humidity too high you will get sticky chicks. They are so sticky they can't rotate around in the shell to zip. Personally, I prefer humidity no higher than 60-65* during lockdown or I get sticky chicks. 60 is best for me.

Kathy--How can I lower the humidity? Remove some water from the troughs?

Fifelake--The Genesis is all automatic--I don't know if there's a way to set it.

I just read another article on humidity in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. It says,"Evaporation is regulated by the amount of moisture in the air (where do you have your incubator?) the more moisture-laden the air, the more slowly moisture evaporates from the eggs, and vice versa. Humidity control may be fine-tuned by adjusting the incubator's vents. closing vents INCREASES humidity,Opening vents DECREASES humidity by allowing moisture laden air to escape. Your incubator should have a place to "set" what you want for the humidity...at least my brinsea does. Make sure you have yours set at what you want it to be ---read the owner manual or go online and look at their web site maybe....then if you have it set right...I'd open the vent more. I'm a newbie too but I KNOW that too high humidity is very bad. They will drown (not to panic you...just what I read)

I just talked to someone at the Hovabator manufacturer. He said it's almost impossible to get 89% humidity in the 1588 and my hygrometer might be off but it should be up at eggtop level (like the thermometers). I had it propped against the side. And I had put water in the third trough--a no-no.

No pips yet so I opened the incubator, removed some water and raised the hygrometer up. AND I HEARD AN EGG PEEPING!!!!!! So exciting! I hope all goes well including the humidity going down.

The guy did say that the only way to adjust humidity in the 1588 is to add or subtract water. My engineer husband just explained to me that it's not the depth but the surface area of the water that affects humidity. More surface area = more humidity. That's why adding water to another trough raises the humidity. The third trough I guess would only be needed in really dry situations.

Mrs. Mucket :

I just talked to someone at the Hovabator manufacturer. He said it's almost impossible to get 89% humidity in the 1588 and my hygrometer might be off but it should be up at eggtop level (like the thermometers). I had it propped against the side. And I had put water in the third trough--a no-no.

No pips yet so I opened the incubator, removed some water and raised the hygrometer up. AND I HEARD AN EGG PEEPING!!!!!! So exciting! I hope all goes well including the humidity going down.

The guy did say that the only way to adjust humidity in the 1588 is to add or subtract water. My engineer husband just explained to me that it's not the depth but the surface area of the water that affects humidity. More surface area = more humidity. That's why adding water to another trough raises the humidity. The third trough I guess would only be needed in really dry situations.

Any updates mrs. Mucket? What did you get your humidity at? Any hatched yet.? I think you have another day or two?​

Quote:
Any updates mrs. Mucket? What did you get your humidity at? Any hatched yet.? I think you have another day or two?

Yes we have a chick! It pipped last night about 7 PM and hatched about 12 hours later. The humidity went down to 70 on my hygrometer but no condensation on the lid. The chick is wobbling around peeping to wake up some of his buddies! No more pips but today is just day 20.

That is wonderful news!!
jumpy.gif

Is it normal for hatches to spread out over several days? Today is day 22. We had one chick hatch on day 20, one on day 21, and still no sign from 3 eggs that were viable on day 18. Six more went under a broody on day 18 and no peeps heard there either.

Back
Top Bottom