HOVABATOR INCUBATOR

SisterFlash

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
SW Mountains New Mexico
Just wanted to know your feedback on this incubator or other mass produced bators.

I have seen a bunch new on ebay and the around $80 makes me not want to build my own and worry if I did it right.

What other things must you by with the bator? Do you need a extra temp gauge etc?

thanks just want to know what brands of purchased bators under or around $100 that you have used and had good or bad results with.

thanks so much learning so much here.

Barb
wink.png

Hovabators are great for an inexpensive bator. You should consider getting the one with the forced air (fan) - this keeps the temps more stable and even throughout the incubator. Also, unless you are able and willing to turn your eggs at least 3 times a day, you will need a turner. A good thermometer/hygrometer is a must. You can buy the Accurite ones at Lowe's - they have the probe that you stick inside the water weasel and are not very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Glad to hear the great info back on the hova bator. I was going to get the one with the fan and the egg turner...about 80 bucks.

so that being said it pretty easy to use....like you plug it in and then it gets to temp and you add water somewhere to help with the humidity?

Is there some sort of temp setting dial and an easy to monitor conditons in the bator?

How many eggs does it hold and how successful have you been with yours. Sounds like you love them so I guess sucessful?

I want to get some nice dark marans eggs and maybe some real americanna (sp?) maybe later EE but I figure it will cost the same to feed an average hen as it will a well bred hen (does nto have to be show quality) so I might as well go for it.

Plus I really like what I read about the barnies and the only way to get quality is to hatch or order 25 straight run. That is just way to many chicks for me.

Also what generally is your hatching rate that you consider good...I know lots of factors here but if you buy say 12 eggs and you do everythng perfect...do say 9 hatch or is it more like 50% for an average breed (I am sure some breeds have fertility issues)?

Last edited:
Mine has the electronic thermostat and it's pre-set, so you don't have mess with adjusting anything to get the right temp......a major plus in my book!!

There's a tray in the bottom that you add water to for the humidity.

With my own eggs I get good hatch rates.....shipped eggs are another story. If you've never hatched before I'd suggest you get some local eggs to hatch before you try any shipped ones. I just had 1 out of 7 hatch for some shipped eggs. Last time it was 2 out of14. But on the other hand I've got a batch in the incubator where 12 out of 18 have made it to day 17.....hopefully they'll all make it to day 21, but there are no guarantees. Last time I had just my own eggs in it was 8 of 10.

Junk the thermometer that comes with it and get a good thermometer/hygrometer. I like my fluker brand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom