hovabator incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken potpie 2020, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chicken potpie 2020

chicken potpie 2020 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    memphis
    Im thinking about buying one of these i have never hatched eggs before does anyone know anything about this brand pros cons thanks

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Save your money and purchase a good incubator. A hovabator does not hold a temperature very steady at all. Even with a forced air. I've had zero hatches in my forced air and my best hatch on my still air was 30% over the course of 3 attempts.

3. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a couple havobators mine hold temperture steady never droping or raising .5 of a degree either way. I havent had any problems with incubating eggs that were caused by the incubator. If your doing this on a small scale as a hobby you really dont need to invest into anything more then one of these.

4. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    My Hovabator is working great! I have had no temp fluctuations, and it has room for lots of eggs [​IMG]

5. chicken potpie 2020

chicken potpie 2020 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    memphis
    thank you all very much

6. sunnyllama

sunnyllama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    I just got a hovabator and it has an automatic egg turner insert! Need less to say, I am thrilled-gone are the days of hand turning!!! My father in law uses only the hovabator after years of trying out different models, he was the head zoo-keeper of our zoo for years, has tended and hatched thousands of chickens and quails and so many others, and now retired to a small farm in the country and he swears by this thing. Hope he isnt wrong;)

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    An incubator is a box with a heat source & a thermostat. Used properly they all work fine. I have 2 large cabinet incubators now but have used both Hovabators & Littler Giants in the past. I hatched literally hundreds of chicks in both of them. Read & follow the instructions & you'll be fine.

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    NYREDS

What type of cabinet incubators do you use. I am looking at the sportsman 1502, or the ova easy 380. I am wondering which is better.

Lanae

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:I gave up...I'd only get 3 eggs to hatch. In every hatch. All in the same spots. They were incubated indoors so no flux from outside sources. Maybe I got 2 lemons??

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Two very old Redwood incubators from Leahy Mfg Co. Got one at an auction for $35 & the other came from a house that was being torn down. I paid $50 for 3 incubators that were in the basement. Kept one & sold the other 2 for $385.
    Still use the wafer type thermostats but may upgrade to electronics some day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by