1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hovabator temp questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheBushidoWay, Jun 16, 2017.

1. TheBushidoWay

TheBushidoWay Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    I thought I had read just about everything in regards to incubating before I got started. My issue is my hovabator 1602n temp ranges a good little bit. I was of the impression it would stay at one temp and now Ive resigned myself to just trying to keep it in a good range. Im doing turkeys so 99.7-100.9

I have my incubator in my dining room which is the central most point of the house. daytime temps seem a touch lower than night time. unit like I said is a hovabator 1602n forced air with 5 tray auto turner. I got the package off ebay with a incutherm thermometer/hygrometer and a glass thermometer. digital thermometer seems accurate against the glass one. house temp seems stable based on the thermostat about 6 feet away. Im not using ac right now and its always a comfy 82 everytime I look. Im doin 15 eggs and Im about 1 week in. also seems like Im fine tuning the thermostat about 4 times a day. and by fine I mean tiny little "scooches",mm movements.

thoughts?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Listen---99.7 to 100.9 is a great range----nothing wrong with that. My 1602n has a wafer thermostat and they are going to range a little. You are good! Being I am sure you got fan in it----you could bump it down a touch---say 99.5 to 100.5. but you will be fine.

3. TheBushidoWay

Jun 15, 2017
    just what I wanted to hear. thanks a bunch.

PD-Riverman likes this.
  4. TheBushidoWay

Jun 15, 2017
    Im beginning to hate this hovabator.
    Just when I was feeling comfortable with it, I woke up this morning and for whatever reason, it was at 99.0
    Ive since found out that barometric pressure and relative humidity can affect the wafer thermostat.

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    They probably are effected?? I never had a problem---meaning with 9 to 10'000 hatched in my hatcher with a wafer thermostat----ever time I look through the glass- at the thermometer---it is setting dead on the temp and in over 3 years I have never had to re-adjust it. Winter/summer/fall/spring, rain or shine----always dead on it and my building is unheated/cooled---I just open the windows in the summer---close in the winter.

6. TheBushidoWay

Jun 15, 2017
    maybe I got a bad one then cause this thing is driving me crazy. and I might as well be setting on the eggs myself, with all the time I spend looking at the thermometer (watching where it kicks on at)

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If its kicking on and off in the range you posted above---you are good!! Now---example--- if it dropped to 95 and cut off at 103---that isn't going to work.

8. TheBushidoWay

Jun 15, 2017
    gotcha.
    so dipping down to 99 for a little while. I have no idea how long. thats not too bad,I guess.

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    No, as long as it goes back up above 100, back and forth---is fine and will not cause you a problem. Now worry about the humidity---or hatch day---LOL

10. TheBushidoWay

Jun 15, 2017
    see the humidity Im not sweating, no pun. hygrometer says 40-50% and Im not really adding water. humidity outside is 95% Im pretty certain its a little less in the house. when it comes to getting the humidity up, I got that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by