Hovabator to Hen?

BettyJo

In the Brooder
6 Years
I have several unhatched eggs that a hen pushed out of her nest after hatching 2 of them. I rushed the eggs into my Hovabator and one is hatching. Should I put the chick under mom after it's all dry, or will she reject it? It's Dec 1rst and the weather is getting cold here in Oregon (25-40's). Watching the hens take care of their babies in the run seems to be the best way to raise chicks, rather than bringing them into the house. Any advice?

You can try. Do it after dark and hope that by the morning she will have accepted it.

In any case, I wouldn't raise it in the house.

.... The whole fertile egg... [thing] has been quite the science project for me.... appreciate any advice.
Hen brooded chicks are many times more fun than incubator and brooder chicks. If the peeps have a mama hen you are not tied down to a brooder
If you want to keep it fun stick with the mother hen but I do recommend that you use an incubator some until you understand the fundamentals of a chicks' early life.

I totally agree with "hens" being the best choice in raising chicks. But, then I bought the Hovabator as a rescue center, after some eggs were abandoned (that I knew were developed) and had dry membranes, causing death of the chicks during hatching. I know, I should just let nature take it's course, but I'm a softy, and wanted to see what would happen if I intervened.

We had 2 chicks hatch on Thanksgiving, and they seem to be so healthy and thriving with mom in the coop. I'm hoping to be able to sneak any late bloomers (she ditched) under her and she accepts them.

I recently got a hoverbator incubator and I'm hoping to be able to put eggs in it asap. i was wondering based on others experience if its a good brand of incubator?

Hello, I researched the incubators and the Hovabator typically had great reviews. Follow the instructions, and keep track of days the eggs are nearing hatch time. Adding water to the #2 channel 3 days prior to hatching. I have 2 healthy chicks that hatched 24-30 hours ago, and just put them in a separate brooder. Good luck, and it will be interesting to hear your experience.

Back
Top Bottom