1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hovabator vs. Little Giant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bullet, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    What are the diffrences between these incubators, and which is best and why? [​IMG]

2. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Great question...I'm going to hang around and see if anyone answers your question....

I have the LG Still Air Styrofoam incubator and I need to know ideal temp and humidity for this type of incubator...maybe one of the more experienced hatchers can help us with this...because there's a lot of conflicting information...So far I've heard temp should be 99.5 but then someone else told me 101.0. Which is it? and proper humidity??

Barb

3. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    and hope someone comes by soon...I have Silkie eggs shipping out to me on Tuesday morning so they'll probably be here by Thursday is what the seller said...I can't wait but I'm scared to death because its my first hatch and shipping eggs already gives you a strike when it comes to hatchability...I just can't find anyone local-Drat! [​IMG]

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

hova hova hova hova hova !!!!! they are simply built better, better parts and better design. [​IMG] and better temps [​IMG]

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    the ideal temp and humidity does not change from one incubator to another..

You are going to get opinions from 25% to 75% humidity..

99,5 degrees is stamped right on the hovabator..

100 degrees if it is still air..

a half a degree really does not make a pinch of s--t ..

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I totally agree! HOVA all the way~! Don't waste your money on the other one. It's not nearly as reliable as the hova. I have the 1588 and I have been getting GREAT hatch results. My friend decided to "save money" and get the cheaper and she had just a few hatch here and there and most had defects from the temp spikes. She had to cull them [​IMG] Now she got the hova and has been having great hatch results too [​IMG]

7. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I've had a Hovabator for many years and it works great. Simple, functional design.
    I heard some negatives about Little Giants in the past but I never had one myself so can't really say......
    99.5 for circulated bators. The higher temps for still air.

8. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I have 3 LG's. I use 2 with turners for incubating, and the third I use as a hatcher. I have one forced air and two still airs. I use one of the still airs as a hatcher.

I am happy with my LG's.

ETA: I don't have a hovabator and haven't used one, so I can't say which I would like better.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  9. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got a lg still air bator and put a fan it myself($2.00) if you have to buy it. I got eggs in there right now and they are developing well. Temps have been good at 99-101 with electronic control(beats the wafer). I used a hova in my classroom last year with the wafer and it worked ok but had to fiddle a little bit more to maintain temps. What I have noticed however it is a lot easier to clean a Hova since the bottom has a plastic liner that comes out and seems to fit together a little better. Now for the third option is to make your own bator. I have made 2 and have hatched quail and chicken eggs and yes the temps swing a bit but it works if the temps are a little low they hatch a day late but they hatch non the less [​IMG]

10. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    How are the hovas at hatching duck eggs? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by