How about a Thread for Embdens?

I checked on her this morning and gave her some fresh water- when i get home from work i plan to sit in the coop with her for a few hours and just do that for as long as it takes for her to at least stop running from me. I tried to contact the breeder and i let them know how she was acting and if she had another goose for sale and the comment was not what i had expected. so, i am just going to keep searching. I appreciate all of your Help Miss Lydia
I take it from your comment here that the breeder didn´t want to know? Not very nice if that´s the case. What about a big mirror? We put it in brooders with little ones, but there´s no reason you can´t use one for this one...meanwhile, just keep your eyes open. What about the local feed store? Sometimes they´ll know of someone who has geese. Ours knows we have them, and sends people over here sometimes.

I take it from your comment here that the breeder didn´t want to know?  Not very nice if that´s the case.  What about a big mirror?  We put it in brooders with little ones, but there´s no reason you can´t use one for this one...meanwhile, just keep your eyes open.  What about the local feed store?  Sometimes they´ll know of someone who has geese.  Ours knows we have them, and sends people over here sometimes.

I really dont want to speak bad of anyone, but i was surprised that there was no concern at all. Anyways, the mirror suggestion is really a great idea! i am going have to ttry it out. So should i hang the mirror like on the side of a pen an put her in there by herself? Is that the suggestion? Maybe i need to put a picture of myself int here with her too (just kidding!!!) hehehe.

I really dont want to speak bad of anyone, but i was surprised that there was no concern at all. Anyways, the mirror suggestion is really a great idea! i am going have to ttry it out. So should i hang the mirror like on the side of a pen an put her in there by herself? Is that the suggestion? Maybe i need to put a picture of myself int here with her too (just kidding!!!) hehehe.
A mirror big enough for her to see her whole self in. Put it in with her at floor level, or just above to keep it cleaner
wink.png

A mirror big enough for her to see her whole self in. Put it in with her at floor level, or just above to keep it cleaner
wink.png
and make sure it is not sharp on the edges these geese will gnaw on anything. I think you can buy full length mirrors with plastic or wood all around the edges at dollar stores ,you use to be able to anyway. And a pic of yourself right next to it.

Last edited:
and make sure it is not sharp on the edges these geese will gnaw on anything. I think you can buy full length mirrors with plastic or wood all around the edges at dollar stores ,you use to be able to anyway. And a pic of yourself right next to it.
I use a mirror made for bathrooms, they are mass-produced here in different sizes, plastic frames. Ideal for using with goslings.
big_smile.png

I am happy to let everyone know that last night when I went out and fed everyone, she was much more open to my presence! She still hated me, but she wasnt trying to kill herself trying to get away from me. She just stayed on her side of the coop, peeped a little bit, but nothing compared to how terrible it was the day before. I wasnt able to spend as much time as i wanted with her because it stormed all night.

I am happy to let everyone know that last night when I went out and fed everyone, she was much more open to my presence! She still hated me, but she wasnt trying to kill herself trying to get away from me. She just stayed on her side of the coop, peeped a little bit, but nothing compared to how terrible it was the day before. I wasnt able to spend as much time as i wanted with her because it stormed all night.
That is awesome news. Baby steps is progress so just keep on with what your doing. and keep looking for a friend for her it will make all the difference in her life. Remember too they need a lot of B3[niacin] in their diet and if your feeding chick feed she isn't getting it. So be sure to supplement with Romaine lettuce and kale and lots of yummy grass. /with grit of course. if they don't get the niacin they can get lameness and neurological problem . also be careful if you do hang anything that she can't eat what ever you use to hang it because they will nibble and eat anything.

That is awesome news. Baby steps is progress so just keep on with what your doing. and keep looking for a friend for her it will make all the difference in her life. Remember too they need a lot of B3[niacin] in their diet and if your feeding chick feed she isn't getting it. So be sure to supplement with Romaine lettuce and kale and lots of yummy grass. /with grit of course. if they don't get the niacin they can get lameness and neurological problem . also be careful if you do hang anything that she can't eat what ever you use to hang it because they will nibble and eat anything. 

We have so many cucumbers that every night i take the peelings and put them in water for them! when they see me coming down the yard with that bowl they are soooo excited! i use flock raiser- doesnt that have the niacin in it? Also, all of their runs and bedding are filled with sand, that they pick at! I'm trying to grow my own romaine- we'll just see how that goes.

We have so many cucumbers that every night i take the peelings and put them in water for them! when they see me coming down the yard with that bowl they are soooo excited! i use flock raiser- doesnt that have the niacin in it? Also, all of their runs and bedding are filled with sand, that they pick at! I'm trying to grow my own romaine- we'll just see how that goes.
I use Flock raiser also because it is for all poultry but I still make sure my water fowl especially when young get plenty of greens. I hope your Romaine does better than mine the chickens got into mine and that took care of that.
smile.png
Oh and geese are grazers and should have more grass [greens] in their diet than feed, feed should actually be second on their diet list. In winter when all outr greens are dead I offer timothy hay for all my flock to munch on they love it

Back
Top Bottom